Mastercarver mini hand push tools

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mastercarver mini hand push tools

I've been looking at the set of Mastercarver mini push tools, gouges from Wood Carvers Supply. There are 20 tools in a canvas wrap for $100.

I've got a small set of five push tools from Rockler but they're not small enough for most of my work.

At this point, I'm trying to decide if I need them or just want them.

Do any of you have these? Are they any good? Any recommendations for these or other mini-micro tools welcome.
    Ron T.
    http://stickcarving.webs.com/

Re: Mastercarver mini hand push tools

I have seen and used these exact tools Ron I wasn't to impressed other then the V tools are a true V, the blades seemed so short the handles got into the way. I don't know if that would be the same for you depends on what ya are carving. I like flexcut and ya could make a nice set of the smaller sk series blades and there smaller wooden handle, otherwise I know they sell a micro set with permanent handles. I really love the german made lamp micro tools but they are wicked spendy, when I have enough saved up I will be buying them for sure. I would say it is an alright deal for the price but ya get what ya pay for.
    Carl

Comment

Hi Carl,

Thanks for the info. I'm glad you mentioned the true V tools. They also sell the set of three V tools for $17. I could definitely use those.
      Ron T.

Comment

Ron I have that exact set, got it about a year ago, no complaints except each tool needs a good stroping before they can be used. The catalog says they come razor sharp, but it seems like like they put some kind of protective coating on the blade, after a quick stroping they work pretty well. I bought one of those deep ice trays, I keep the tools in the ice tray on my work bench. Hope this helps.

Dave

Comment

The coating that you found Dave is the same stuff on the wooden handles I had forgotten about that, when they put the finish onto the handles they just dip the whole tools either that or it is a rust preventer.
          Carl

Comment

I figured it was something like that, it was not a big deal at all, a quick stroping and they were fine. I really only use the smaller blades for detailing.

Dave

Comment

Thanks Dave. I just have to decide if I need the whole set or just the three V tools set.
              Ron T.

Comment

I haven't used that specific set of tools, so can't respond to your question about their quality, but can offer an alternative set that I do know work well. They are Henry Taylor mini gouges, sold by Traditional Wood Worker and they are a superb set of mini tools. Much stronger than the Dockyard tools and keep a beautiful edge.

Check them out at Traditional Woodworker - Set of 12 Micro Carving Tools by Henry Taylor

They are more expensive, but I find you get what you pay for.

Bob
                Before they slip me over the standing part of the fore sheet, let them pipe: "Up Spirits" one more time.

Comment

Hi Bob,

Thank you for the link. Those tools are beautiful, but unfortunately a little to pricey for me now. I'll wait and make sure I'll use them before I decide. It'll also give me time to save for those.
                  Ron T.

Comment

I have a number of them, gouges and v tools. They have excellent steel that is heat treated perfectly. Take and hold and excellent edge. I never use them. As somebody mentions before, the steel portion is too short and the handle (as small as it is) gets in the way. It's too bad, because other than that fault, they are excellent tools. I have used the smaller v tools on occasion for doing hair, but have quit using them even for that.

Comment

Working...
                    X