Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

larger tool for wood removal--how bout these?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• larger tool for wood removal--how bout these?

I have just been recently doing some bark carving, and would like to pick up one or two larger gouges, maybe a #5 and larger V to do wood removal and laying out...I got Saturday in the mail a catalog from Mountain Woodcarvers and they are selling off some larger tools for about 1/2 $$$...I was wondering if anyone has used them, or could at least look at the site and give me your recommendations of them?....I am sure they are not Stubai or anything similar, but will they fit the purpose I am looking for?....tks in advance to all who respond...Dennis

Woodcarving Supplies, Tools and Books from Mountain Woodcarvers

Re: larger tool for wood removal--how bout these?

They sound fine to me, the ones ya are talking about are made in ny or something it said? I haven't used them before but there desciption sounded decent other then this black diamond rockwell test never heard of that one before? 1095 isn't the best steel for carving tools but it is a great steel, if ya arn't to skilled at sharpening tools yet I'd sugest get there sharpening service, and ya can't beat 50% off. Hope this helps.
    Carl

Comment

Re: larger tool for wood removal--how bout these?

I have several of these that i bought off e-bay and have had real good luck with them,they hold an edge real well,bear in mind i don't do a whole lot of mallet work but i also use them as just hand tools and have been pleased with them and i would also suggest having the sharpening done unless your pretty good at this yourself.

Comment

Working...
      X