Lee Valley Vice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lee Valley Vice

Does any one own one of these carving vises from lee valley, what do ya like about it? hows it holding up? do ya have the carvers screw? Has anyone used one of these?
    Lee Valley Tools - Item Search
    Any help is greatly apreaciated, thanks in advance.
    Carl

Re: Lee Valley Vice

I have the LV and it is a fine tool. They also have several optional plates and assemblies that fit the vise. The plates/rods from the Jerry-Rig vise also fit the LV (same diameter rods).

Regards,
    FK

Comment

Thank ya FK, also thanks for that tip on the jerry-rig vise, if I do get one I can always have my uncle machine me whatever kind of post or carving screw clamp anything I might want.
      Carl

Comment

I ordered one and it should be delivered today & there when I get out of this meeting and home today!!

From Russ' Blackberry in the middle of a boring work meeting with senior management meeting!!!

Comment

Got it!
          After dinner (and upon returning from 2 days of death-by-meeting) I put the little sea turtle carving that I had stalled on in it and played with it a bit.

It is a real step up in accessibility to all sides of the carving from using a carver's screw (also Lee Valley).

By giving me improved accessibility with very little effort (and that being the key, little effort) to make radical access changes it would appear to be a real enhancement to in the round carving.

I also got the dog hole adapter and extra small mounting plate. I found the dog hole adapter doesn't seem to work well on my bench, but if you have (once again) Lee Valley bench pups and a bench dog the whole vise easily can be held tightly between the two on the bench top.

I think the whole thing is a real value when I see the world that it's opening up for me and the relative price of the other brands of carving vices I see out there.

Should have got one sooner. :-)

Russ

Comment

ROFL, Russ fromyour blackberry during a meeting lol . Thanks for the post Russ I wil be ordering one before mid Nov, I do plan on just screwing it to my bench top. I also plan to get the lee valley carvers screw as well as there smaller plate. If I find out later on I want more I will have my uncle machine some for me and also make a post so I can put my lathe chuck on the vice.
            Carl

Comment

Well I guess I am just lucky, mom asked me what I wanted for my birthday this year and I pointed out the vise. Last year she decide to just ask me what I wanted and for my 18th birthday, said it was easier lol. So she called up Rick Jensen and I recived $100 in bark from Rick. She seen I had been saving up to buy one and was just about there, so she bought the vise for me and I bought the attachements and some other stuff from Lee Valley. Hey Russ how long did it take for it to ship to your place from lee vallies and what did they use? usps ups fedex?
              Carl

Comment

I'm lucky in that I live about 4.5 hours from Lee Valley's US warehouse in Ogdensburg NY.
                If I order on a Sunday or Monday I usually get the item by Thursday or Friday.

I'm not sure who they use. Sometimes it's US Mail ( I think) and other times I think it's UPS.

...And 19 out of 20 times Lee Valley has catalog items in stock, ready for delivery.

Russ

Comment

Hey there Russ thanks a bunch for the info, I checked online to see if it was all in stock before ordering. It will be my first time ordering from lee valley, and it shouldn't be my last.
                  Carl

Comment

Hopefully you had the presence of mind NOT to order one of the free print
                    versions of their tool catalog.

Around our house no credit card is safe if dad has disappeared with the Lee Valley catalog on a Sunday afternoon...

Hmmm...it is Sunday afternoon and the family is all off doing other stuff, leaving just me and the PC...
                    Now what did I do with the new Lee Valley tool catalog? ;-)

Russ

ps. Actually, I know right where it is...'cause we have several copies! :-)

R

Comment

If I had found anything else I needed I would have orderd it with the vise, I have one copy of the printed catalog it's a little worn and out dated. Now as for ordering stuff I want, when I have the money I porbably will order some more, can't just spend everything lol.
                      Carl

Comment

Right now I am actually trying to decide wether to order more tools or some books.
                        Carl

Comment

Fed Ex showed up here this afternoon with my new vise, I am amazed at the quality and the acuracy of construction.

I can't belive all the carving I have done these past few years i have been carving where I could have used one of these. It is so versitile and just awsome, I also bought a post so I can put my lathe chuck onto the vise so I can carve on bowls and stuff.
                          Carl

Comment

Working...
                          X