Beginner Question - Which saw

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Beginner Question - Which saw

I have the new 12 inch Craftsman .... it's a nice saw and is made by the parent company of Rikon. I works very well and I have even resawn stock with it. It has a good reputation. Stay away from the 9 inch bandsaw from Craftsman .. it's bad news. if your going to get a small bandsaw... get the 10 inch craftsman which is on the website only and is also made by the parent company of Rikon... nice little saw but limited in the size of stock you can saw as with any other small saw.
    Hope this helps.

Corey

Comment

I would recommend a Band Saw.
      Mark N. Akers
      My Etsy Store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/KarolinaKarver

Comment

Band saw for sure, just make sure its one that has two wheels and Delta has a floor model that you can get at Lowes for around 300.00.
        Kevin

Comment

After working in the construction industry i found that the most versatile tools for working with wood and shaping are the Sawzall, Bandsaw and Circular saw. I use the circular saw and Bandsaw more than a Chop-saw or Table-saw for freeform work. There are applications where the piece is too big to cut with bandsaw, so you can cut the rough outline shape with a sawz-all, then pass it through Bandsaw (i have to do this with burls because they're round usually and too big to fit through bandsaw. A circular saw is free and can go anywhere in direction of cut (even backwards very slowly in some cases), chop saw is stationary, you can cut an outer edge of a square table and make it perfectly round with a Circ saw. I do it all the time. Table saw is good for free-work but very dangerous. I have one of the first bandsaws ever made by Delta, a 1941 Wood/Metal bandsaw and it cuts effortlessly. POWER is the key there with a bandsaw.. ***The most important thing to do is that you definitely need someone else there to show you and watch how you use these tools to be safe, first and foremost, and Youtube videos don't cut it..literally…***
          Hope that helps you..

Comment

I'll vote for the bandsaw, provided that wood carving is your main application.
            Cross-cutting a long board is impossible = rough with hand saw, then trim.
            My 8" Ryobi is a dinky little hobby saw, cuts maybe 2" thick.

If I had the floor space, I'd look for a 12-14" bandsaw.

My miter saw is a simple one & 25 yrs old. Very heavy but compact. A sliding compound saw has a huge footprint.
            My scroll saw doesn't get used once a year.
            My table saw is a nice flat place to store boxes of things.
            Brian T

Comment

I agree that for woodcarving a band saw is by far and away an almost irreplaceable tool. That said, the other tools are made for specific uses. For ripping, a table saw. For fine miters and accurate trim work, a chop (compound miter ) saw. For other types of work, a radial....and so on. You cannot do all things well with any single tool, no matter the trade or craft. Sure, a lot of tools can come close...and depending on the accuracy or fineness of the finished work you want you can get by....but just don't be disappointed if you get wavy boards when ripped on a band saw, or irregular miters. Decide what is the MOST important use, like woodcarving or furniture, or trim...then buy the saw that is best for that application and make due in the other areas. Again, I cannot imagine carving without a band saw. I also find a miniature drill press and a belt/disc sander great helps.

Comment

Originally posted by againstthegrain View Post
                A bandsaw...14 inch.

It's on my Christmas wish list. Maybe I'll get it if I am on the "nice" list!
                If I was limited by space and could only have one tool, it would be the 14" bandsaw.

It will not replace a table saw for ripping, however, if you get a proper, sturdy blade, it will come close.

The 'ripping' blade above will also take care of resawing thin strips...AND a 3/16" 4 tpi, skip tooth blade is not to be beat when sawing out blanks.

Pretty versatile tool.

Comment

You all realize this is a 5 year old post....right?
                  Buffalo Bif
                  www.bflobif.com

Comment

Whoops!

Comment

Nope...when they pop up flagged as new I read them. Never know, someone else might have the same question and learn something. As far as I know they don't charge us by the line, or by the number of posts here, so nothing harmed as I see it.

Comment

Working...
                      X