5 new knives

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 5 new knives

well i got jealous of seeing all he new posts about all the new knives, and just had to go out to the shop and crank up the belt grinders and bench grinders, and make a bunch of sparks

below is 2 knives i really love the way they came out
    they are straight razor and the bottom one is a specialty detail knife made from pin file, the handles are maple and bubblinga with a black fiberglass lamination at the wood change glue joint with epoxy,
    the handle on the bottom is shaped like a craw fish the top view(not shown) believe me the top view shows the tail fanned out..

all 5 knives at This link

Re: 5 new knives

Very nice work Thomp Thumbs Up and thanks for sharing them.
    Carl

Comment

Those are beautiful! Almost too pretty to use.

Comment

Thomas ,
        not sure what medication you on now, but don't change, you and Forrest are really going where most mortals don't , wow , those are a work of ART, makes me want to own them all, amost want to quit carving and make knives.
        you go to do a step by step for us slow learners,
        the sword you made me. fantastic,
        thanks
        again
        Sam

Comment

Great looking knives there Thomp, you sure have a talent for making them.
          Cliff

Comment

Thomp, those are some beautiful knives.

Dave

Comment

Ya all saw it here first! The introduction of the Lew-eez-e-anna craw-dad knife, by Ol' Thomp. Good lookin knives Thomp!

Tom H
              http://beginnerscarvingcorner.blogspot.com/

Comment

Wow!

Those look great!

Nice work.

mike

Comment

carl, joy, sam, cliff, dave, tom h.,and mike..
                  Thanks yawl for the nice comments, x-septi'n tom who's just goading me into something here i fear!

Rough night sleeping, 'daah! guess i should have worn my dust mask shaping that bubblinga yesterday',,,
                  lots of fine sawdust when you shape wood with a bandsaw and a drum sander with 80 grit, then to fine paper,
                  sleep filled with congestion with visions of half dressed south American young girls picking coffee beans in my dreams makes me think that wood has a effect on old mens systems..

the blades are not epoxied in yet awaiting selection...
                  so shortly after momma got home and found out what id been up to yesterday,
                  she laid claim to the craw fish shaped handle knife, and told me to grind one of my special good straight razors just for that blade... well, she did allow that i could use it and keep it sharp for her ha! she toys with the idea she wants to carve too... and shes happy with the feel of the shape of that handle big for her small hands i thought... so maybe it alone will persuade her to try more often...

wow, i half expected to get laughed off the fourm and surely didn't suspect id get that much of a rowel out of a few pieces of left over scraps of domestic wood i got from woodcraft couple years ago..

i did coat them with hi gloss deft, only to show off the wood grain, but that makes the finish slick and hard to hang on to if your hands dont perspire.. other handles at the link to my picasa site..

Comment

Thomp
                    Those are just great how well do they cut.Love the handles!!!!
                    Vic.

Comment

Vic, I got several of Ol' Thomps knives. Both razor and the pen file knives. I have more experience with the pen file knife, which I use to do detail work on small carvins. They stay sharp and do fine for detail and finish work. But they stink as paint can openers an chip flickers.

Tom H
                      http://beginnerscarvingcorner.blogspot.com/

Comment

Nice work Thomas, those are beauties!

Corey

Comment

Good looking work Thomp. I like those best of all the one's I've seen ya make, except for the one I have ;O)).
                          Jim OH

Comment

Hey Thomp
                            You have some great looking knives there..you will always know yours from anyone else..if you get together with other carvers they will stand out.
                            I met a fella that had dipped the back side of all of his tools with yellow paint..that way if he went to work somewhere else ..when it was time to pickup tools he always knew which ones were his and so did everyone else. I have painted my flexcut with fusia colored wash..when I open my tool box thats what I see first..the sharp edges. Bill#1

P.S. we are anticipating another snow storm to hit the Northeast USA, we gotta brace for another.. hoping for more carving time..and less time behind a snow shovel or snowblower..Bill#1

Bill #1
                            Western Pennsylvania

Comment

Thomp,

Beautiful job on all five, great colors, great shapes, and great looking blades. I could see one of those pin file detail knives working real good in my hands some day.

Bill

Comment

Working...
                              X