Ralph E. Long Knives

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ralph E. Long Knives

I just got his catalog in the mail. I have to say I a very impressed with his prices. I don't know which one of his whittler knives is best for all-around carving. I was thinking about getting either his straight blade 1-1/4 to 1-1/2 or his straight blade 2 in long. Would either of those knives work? As for hios drawkives is it just personal preference on which one you get?

Thanks

Re: Ralph E. Long Knives

I have a different, but related question. I hope It's okay to jump in here...

I bought a detail knife (1 1/4" blade) on the recommendation of the salesman. Now I hear stories that a longer knife blade is better (the only knife Pete LeClair uses is an 1 7/8" long). I find that sometimes my knife won't reach to my target area without the handle hitting into my piece.

What is the recommended blade length for a beginner? What is the length of the blade you most often hold? Should I obtain a collection of knives and think of them by purpose -- a detail knife for close in work versus a different knife for roughing out?

Thanks in advance for your advice!

Comment

DMH:
      Ralph is a personal friend and does make a awesome knife,not to mention how great a people Dot and Ralph are.I prefer his longer blades.
      Mark N. Akers
      My Etsy Store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/KarolinaKarver

Comment

Originally posted by LMiller View Post
        I have a different, but related question. I hope It's okay to jump in here...

I bought a detail knife (1 1/4" blade) on the recommendation of the salesman. Now I hear stories that a longer knife blade is better (the only knife Pete LeClair uses is an 1 7/8" long). I find that sometimes my knife won't reach to my target area without the handle hitting into my piece.

What is the recommended blade length for a beginner? What is the length of the blade you most often hold? Should I obtain a collection of knives and think of them by purpose -- a detail knife for close in work versus a different knife for roughing out?

Thanks in advance for your advice!
        IMHO, you really need a couple of different knife lengths depending on the task at hand. Even the thickness and width of the blade come into play when you are carving.
        Ron T.
        http://stickcarving.webs.com/

Comment

Ralph Long makes very good knives at a very reasonable price and a wide selection of blade shapes and handle shapes. I highly recommend his knives even though there are many good knife makers, yet Ralph's are worth the price --SO buy more than one to get a variety as every carver needs and wants more knives. You can't go wrong with a Long knife.

Comment

Pete uses a 2 1/4 Wells knife these days I think. It doesn't matter, I like a smaller knife--1 3/8 wells is my favorite but I fine times when I want a longer knife as you say cause you can't get where you want easily. If your a knife carver primarily, you will want an assortment of knives. If you can get one knife... a 1 1/2 to 1 3/4 is a good compromise.

Corey

Comment

Hey there,
              Does Ralph have a website?

Dan

Comment

Thanks for the advice!

Comment

i have 2 of his knives, and they are top notch!!! blades stay sharp, and the handles fit my big 'ol paws real nice!!!

Comment

Moved to "Tools" forum.

Mr. Long has a variety of knives available (REL Knives). He'll even make to your specifications if necessary.

Previous discussion: http://www.woodcarvingillustrated.co...-knives-24219/
                    Member of Caricature Carvers of America
                    My website: https://mitchellcartledgewoodcarvings.com

Comment

Ralph Long makes an EXCELLENT knife at a great price !! Also a very nice person to do business with !

Dave

Comment

Here you go Dan :

Ralph Long : 336 595-4563
                        Email : [email protected]

Dave

Comment

My Ralph Long knife just came in the mail yesterday. I am very impressed with it. My has a walnut handle and I had ordered the one that could be 1 1/4-1 1/2. I think my is on the low end. It came very sharp. Now I just have to order some wood from heineke.I will definitely buy what I can from Mr. Long. Also he said that he has a new e-mail: [email protected]

Comment

I'am sure you will enjoy that Ralph Long knife, I love mine ! I am about to order another.

Dave

Comment

Even though I have many, many knives by several of the top knife makers and make knives for my own use, yet I keep coming back to recomment Ralph E. Long knives as they are of super quality, a very reasonable price and a variety of blade and handle shapes. Every carver should at least have one Ralph E. Long knife, but then why stop at one, as I often say, "One is dandy, two is two many and three is never enough", one can never have too many knives. Thumbnail photo is of Ralph E. Long knives. StaySharpandBeCarveful, Don

Comment

Working...
                              X