No announcement yet.

Band Saw for the fiscally challenged...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Band Saw for the fiscally challenged...

Hi all!

Beings I'm a Dad to 5 younguns ranging from 2 to 12 years old, I've been strafing Craigslist for a band saw.

I obviously cannot pay big $$ for a Jet, Delta, younameabigbrandhere... so I am curious as to the groups input on what to look for, stay away from in band saws.

I obviously need it to cut a min of 4" stock so I'd imagine it'd be bigger than a 9" saw.

I see Craftsman commonly, but also see some of the Harbor Freight and Lowes specials and wonder if I need to bother even considering them.

Maybe someday I can upgrade, but not just yet and the lack of bandsaw is severely hindering my progress as I spend a lot of time with a coping saw or hand held tenon saw to remove the wood.

Tried to hog off material with my bench knife, but 9 stitches later I figured that was not the best idea

Thanks for your time.

Re: Band Saw for the fiscally challenged...

im on limited income myself and bought the 10" craftsman for under $100.00 watch the sales,
    it cuts 4" stock that i buy from hinikie very well.
    for 2 inch stock i use my scrollsaw

Comment

I have a 12" JET I picked up on CL for 200 bucks in new condition. Now that they have the 14's out the 12's are going cheap. I love mine but its limited to 6" stock. Whatever you get, its worth it to buy good tires and blade for good cuts.

Comment

On Craigslist I picked up an older, but nearly as-new, Craftsman 12", 1HP band saw with two NIB blades for only $100. It has a 5" clearance, and is one sweet machine.

The biggest scratch on it is one that I put on it myself bringing it home in the back of the station wagon! :-)

I have since seen a couple of other name-brand 14" saws that would have been good deals too, but I can't see spending more than my initial $100 for merely an additional 1" clearance.
        The 1HP of my Sears 12" is what's hard to beat...that, and the $100 price tag

Craigslist + time + diligence = a decent band saw @ a decent price.

Keep your eyes on the List.
        I missed several before I eventually got the deal I ended up with.

All the best,

Russ

Comment

Thanks all!

Patience will be the key here for a Craigslist steal by the looks of things.

Being a very impatient person by nature, the 3 weeks I've been looking seems like 3 years...

Thanks for your input!

Comment

The Craftsman 10" cuts ok but the blade and adjustments make it cut better.I ordered some Timberwolf blades and I didn't think the Craftsman was able to cut that good.Tony

Comment

Don't know where you are located but here is about what you seem to be talking about. Found it on Craigs list, Western Kentucky just a few minutes ago. Probably would fit your pocketbook if the distance is not too great.

12" Band Saw - $75 (Murray, Kentucky)

Date: 2009-08-17, 3:21PM EDT
              Reply to: [email protected] [Errors when replying to ads?]

Used 12"- 2 Speed Band Saw, no table legs, good condition.
              • it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests

ingID: 1328036732

Comment

Wow!

I'm in Michigan, so that's quite a ways away, but it is good to know those deals are out there.

I just received a response to my "Wanted" post on Craigslist. The guys lives in the same town I work in and is getting max cutting height dim's tonight.

Hopefully I can get what I need locally!

Thanks for your consideration.

Comment

Good luck!

Comment

"Splurge" on the blades - get the Timberwolf (what a coincidence) brand if you can. Makes a WORLD of difference.
                    Member of Caricature Carvers of America
                    My website: https://mitchellcartledgewoodcarvings.com

Comment

You said that right.
                      Patience needed elsewhere

Originally posted by Timberwolf View Post
                      Thanks all!

Patience will be the key here for a Craigslist steal by the looks of things.

Being a very impatient person by nature, the 3 weeks I've been looking seems like 3 years...

Thanks for your input!

Comment

I got lucky and picked up a Craftsman 12" bandsaw with 3/4 HP motor at a garage sale for $50. So far all it required was some cleanup and lubrication, although I think a new blade is in order. I'm still learning how to use the thing.

The deals are out there. I check craigslist approximately weekly, just to see what's being listed. I regularly see the 10" Craftsman or Ryobi units going for $50. My thoughts on those are mixed. Some say don't bother, but others I trust and respect say that if you're just cutting 4" basswood for personal projects, then that saw is a great place to start.

Comment

Bob--Let us know how you came out on your bandsaw.

Comment

Keeping my fingers crossed

I stumbled across what may be a huge find, if it is still around when I get my paycheck!

Delta tools

Delta Planer, Scroll Saw, and Band Saw for $265!

I may opt out of the planer, but the other two for $165 would be a steal. Just have to verify with the owner the max cutting height of the band saw as I need it to cut 4" material.

Wish me luck!

Comment

Super!
                              Good Luck!

Comment

Working...
                              X