Attaching Leather

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Attaching Leather

Has anyone had luck attaching two pieces of leather together. I have a 1" x 50" strip of leather from Tandy, I was wondering if I could cut it down to 30", attach the two ends, and then use it on my 1 x 30 belt sander. I have the pre made style from surgi sharp, but I wanted to make a couple new ones. BTW Tandy has 50 " long strips of leather in different widths on sale this month, 1" x 50 " is on sale for $ 6.49 .

Dave

Re: Attaching Leather

Originally posted by Gulf Coast Handyman View Post
    Has anyone had luck attaching two pieces of leather together. I have a 1" x 50" strip of leather from Tandy, I was wondering if I could cut it down to 30", attach the two ends, and then use it on my 1 x 30 belt sander. I have the pre made style from surgi sharp, but I wanted to make a couple new ones. BTW Tandy has 50 " long strips of leather in different widths on sale this month, 1" x 50 " is on sale for $ 6.49 .

Dave
    Angled scarf joint.

OG

Comment

I've had no success when I tried this. It would be great if you let us know how you get on.
      Oh two problems I hit;
      The leather would stretch and stretch.
      I never got the joint to be true, resulting in a tendance to go off the pulley.

Comment

I would try sewing them flush, Dave.

Comment

scarf joint glue with contact cement,put a clamp on it, let it dry and cure 24 hrs.

Comment

Originally posted by big dave View Post
            scarf joint glue with contact cement,put a clamp on it, let it dry and cure 24 hrs.

In addition to the contact cement would you add a strong piece of tape to the back of the leather ?

Dave

Comment

David, I thought of bringing to a shoe repair place and have them sew it with a commerical machine.

Dave

Comment

Good idea, I bought a piece of leather from a local mom and pop oriental shoe repair shop. They could do something like that, no problem. Might be one in your area too.

Comment

Dave,
                  i always thought to use a commercial grade carpet tape or a good fabric lining to keep streaching of the leather to a minimum ?

Comment

According to "This to That" at:

This to That (Glue Advice)

Barges contact adhesive is your answer

Comment

Just a thought. Glue the strip of leather to a worn out sanding belt. I've thought about using the back side of a sanding belt for buffing. May even try it one day.

Comment

Gave the back of the belt a try. Worked so-so. Will try putting some compound on it. If it will stick.

Comment

Thank you Butch, that's a good idea. I actually have to pick up some more leather at Tandy, I will find out what they use, they have a shop at the store.

Dave

Comment

My shoe repair friend uses Barge contact cement for gluing up leather, although he uses a special blend that he mixes up with Barge thinner and acetone in it so it sets up faster. Straight Barge will work. An angled scaf joint is best and sewing will definitely help.

Ed

Comment

This is how Tandy recomends attaching leather. If you want a 30" loop use a 32 " piece of leather, on either end mark 2' , shave down the 2" on each side, if the leather is 1/8 " thick shave off 1/16 of a inch on both ends, then over lap the two ends together, you will now have the original thickness of 1/8 ", glue with contact cement and add a couple stiches. They have a tool to shave down the leather for about $4.00, or you can use a belt sander. I have not tried it so I have no idea if it works ??

Dave

Comment

Working...
                              X