Band Saw or Scroll Saw

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Band Saw or Scroll Saw

I am a newcomer to the woodcarving hobby and I am asking you all which would be a more useful first purchase....a small band saw or a scroll saw?

Thanks

Re: Band Saw or Scroll Saw

Interesting question. If you are going to be doing all outside cuts and making rough blanks for carving, a bandsaw will do fine. If you think you will be cutting some inside cuts like in making Welsh spoons and such, a scrollsaw is best. If you do decide to get a scrollsaw, make sure you get one that uses pinless blades so you can thread the blade through smaller holes for fine inside cuts. The Demel 1830 scrollsaw is on sale on Amazon.com right now for $159. Well worth the price.

Ed

Comment

I would go with a band saw first, then when you can get a scroll saw.

Dave

Comment

Hello and welcome to the board, David. When I could drive, I used to go to a friend's and use his bandsaw to do my cutouts. Housebound now, I decided to buy a scroll saw. I found one on craigslist, bought it and used it twice. Then, I bought a small bandsaw, also found on craigslist, and us it a lot. IMHO, a bandsaw is so ,much more versatile.
        Ron T.
        http://stickcarving.webs.com/

Comment

Thank you gentlemen for your help. I kinda thought a bandsaw would be better, as an initial purchase, but I wanted to ask people who were more experienced than me their opinions.

Comment

Working...
          X