Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Razor Knife

Hi All,
    I been seeing alot about Razor Knives and thought I would try my hand at one. Over the weekend I went to Canton, TX for one of the largest Flea Markets around and did some shoping. First, I located and bought some nice straight razors that I payed a decent price for. Next, I talked with a Knife maker from Arkansas and picked his brain for a while and also bought some knife handle scales from him. After getting my game plan and working most of the last two days finishing it up. This is my first razor carving knife. The overall length is 6 1/4" with the handle being 4 3/4" with a blade length of
    1 1/2 ". At first I thought the handle length may be a bit short, but I think it works fine for me. I still haven't got the sharpness quite what I like but I'll do that later. Mainly, I wanted to post a photo and see what ya'll think. I thought it turned out pretty nice for my first one. What's ya'll opinion and all critique is welcomed.
    Thanks,
    Mac

Re: Razor Knife

Nice work and a really cool grain pattern on the handle. Congrats.

Comment

That's a real nice knife, Mac. The grain in the handle is quite striking. That looks like it could turn out to be your favorite.

Ed

Comment

Great job, it sure doesn't look like a first attempt.

Comment

What a great looking first knife Mac, When you get it as sharp as you want, I think you have yourself a winner, and one of your favorites. Your carving buddies are going to be wanting one.

Nice job, Tom
          If I took the time to fix all my mistakes, I wouldn,t have time to make new ones.

www.spokanecarvers.com

Comment

Mac, that is one awesome knife and the grain in the handle is beautiful ! Are you sure it's your first knife, Great job !

Dave

Comment

Mac

That is one heck of a knife for the first one. You done real good - it's downright purty. Keep at it, you'll get that edge right yet.

I'll bet your hooked now.

Comment

I've had a hankerin to do the same thing.....let an ebay auction get away from me last month, the guy had 4 razors (one auction) in various states of disrepair, knicked, chipped...one was missing handle...etc. Sold for 4.99

(can you hear the sound of my boot swatting my backside???)

Share your process??? how did you cut the blade? problems shaping??
                how did you get the tang to work out??

Great looking knives.....I kinda like working like the old timers did, you know making the tools that you use. Although, air conditioning is nice....

Comment

Thanks everyone for the kind words. I was correct in saying it was my first carving knife but it's not my first knife. I spent about 20 yrs. in the Meat Packing business and did make another knife back in the 80's. It was made from a liver skinner blade that we used at the packing house and was ground to shape on the old round sharpening wheels that everyone used to sharpen their knives. So, I guess I did have a little knowledge about making a knife, but really I think I had forgotten everything I had learned back then about making a knife. I think the important thing about this knife was that you don't need a bunch of expensive equipment to be successful in making your own knives. This whole project was accomplished with a $39 1" belt sander from Harbor Freight with some different grit belts. The whole cost of the project excluding the sander & belts was $5 for the razor and $8 for the handle scales. Do a little research and plan out your project and anyone can have good results. That was the purpose of giving it a try.

And also thanks Tom Ellis for the knife I got from you on Ebay and the motivation to try my hand at making a Razor Knife.

Thanks again,
                  Mac

Comment

Hey wait a minute...No, wait for it!!

I get it!!
                    MAC, THE KNIFE!!

sorry....couldn't resist

shame you dint take some pictures...
                    jerry

Comment

Mac,
                      If I could make a knife that nice I wouldn't have to keep buying them. Very nice job!

Comment

I'm planning another razor knife project today and will take some process photos to show how I went through the project. Never done that before, so I don't know how it will turn out. I've looked at enough of Lynn Doughty's photos to have an idea. I'll post when complete.
                        And Jerry, look at the opening thread and you'll see the photos of my knife.
                        Mac

Comment

Mac,
                          them sure are some purty knive pictures,
                          is the wood cut out at a angle to the grain, or am i not seeing the grain right?

oh what wood is that by the way?

Comment

Thomas, the handle is done with 2 pieces of wood, like the way Alan Goodman does his knives. The wood, I honestly don't know. The knife maker I bought the wood from didn't have the scales identified and I wasn't smart enough to ask. The knife I'm working on now will have some nice looking wood also, but I don't know what it is either. I think I'll ask next time I buy from him.
                            thanks for the nice comments about the knife.
                            Mac

Comment

Glad you liked the knife Mac, and it inspired you to make a beauty. Your handle looks a lot like Cocabola. Making the knife from a Denny blade is certainly a lot easier, but I think the razor knives are the ulitmate feeling of accomplishment. To keep from having the split down the handle, I like to drill two holes and then clean out between them with one of the 1/8 inch rotozip bits, with a right hand twist so it pulls the dust out of the hole.
                              Keep up the great work, and I'm looking forward to seeing more of your knives.
                              Tom
                              If I took the time to fix all my mistakes, I wouldn,t have time to make new ones.

www.spokanecarvers.com

Comment

Working...
                              X