Tom Wolfe Mystery?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tom Wolfe Mystery?

In his recent Book on Santas, Tom shows a tool he says he made from a leather punch. He uses it to decorate the trim on the figures cloak, and it appears he simply pushes it into the wood and the result is a three way cut. However the photos are too vague and difficult to capture a good view.

My question(s) then are; has anyone an idea of how to grind a punch to get the result Tom shows? Or does anyone have a e-mail address for Tom so I can contact him directly?

Thanks for the help.     Woodcutr ???  

PS: I guess I should have mentioned trhat Tom specified one side was flat and the other sides were ground at a 45[sup] degree angle. The result in the photos looked like a vee-tool had been pushed into the wood (&gt while at the same time the 'floor' was cut too. I'm trying to understand so I can grind my own. :-/

Re: Tom Wolfe Mystery?

I believe the tool you are refering to is similar to a hollow ground punch.  The tool is ground similar to a nail set punch with a dimple in the center.  Look at the woodcraft.com site and search for eye punch.  You can purchase a whole set from 2mm all the way up to 6mm.

[move]A small snip from woodcraft.com web site------------------[/move]

Handled Carver's Eye Punches
    Creating life like, round eyes in wooden faces is no longer a 'pain in the hand!' Our new improved carver's eye punches now include a traditional style, palm handle for ease of use and improved control. Use on your carvings after the eye brow, cheek, and nose portions have been defined. Simply position the proper sized eye punch at the eye location and push while rotating the palm handle. The result - a perfectly round, curved surface eye, ready for enhancement with a carving knife or paints. Overall length approx. 4-1/2', for use on wood only.

Oval and Flat Carver¹s Eye Punches. Developed with Tom Wolfe, and popularized in Tom¹s many carving books, these eye punches will enable you to create oval animal eyes and half closed (flat) 'sleepy' caricature eyes in seconds. Smaller size flat eye punches can be used with a larger 'round' eye punch to create a detailed eye/pupil effect quickly and easily. Palm handles fit your hand nicely and allow application of pressure without hurting your hand. Overall tool length approx. 4-1/2'. USA.

[move]---------end snip[/move]

The link is http://shop.woodcraft.com/woodcraft/...355&pf_id=
    127118&mscssid=6GT8D2AXNTJK9H1AUXA1FEXV04SADKP B&Gift=false&Giftid=

[move]   [/move]

Comment

If all else fails, punches can be made from tubing available at hobby shops. I made a couple and they work fairly well. The tubing comes in a variety of diameters in either brass or alum. The materials are soft enough that you can shape them to suit. I just cut the tube to length, sharpened the inside edge with a stone on my Dremel and epoxy it into a piece of dowel for a handle. They work okay on basswood but might be too soft for a hardwood, although I haven't tried.

Comment

I have several round punches made from short pieces of a golf club shaft. The material in the shaft is actually very hard and makes a good tool. They can be inserted into a round dowel rod for a handle. I happened to come across some material used to make these shafts before it was welded into a tube ( it is 5160, 1% chromium, .60% carbon) and used it to make a small carving knife. It hardened up to about Rc 62 and I tempered it in my oven at 425F. Cuts bass wood endgrain very well.

Comment

I made eye punches in a variety of sizes by drilling into the end of a piece of cold-rolled steel rodthen grinding the OD to whatever size I required. I heat it up with a torch (CAREFUL- not too much!) and press it on the piece while moving the handle in a small circle. This produces a rounded mound in the center which can be painted for the eyeball.

Comment

Did I miss something? I thought that woodcutr was looking for info on making a detail tool that (this is how I understand it) makes a cut that looks something like a birds foot.
            How did we get on eye punches? ???

Comment

Yeah! I read KaiserB's reply and, being old and feeble, I forgot what the original question was. Thanks for keeping us on the right track Grumps...

Comment

Actually Guys, the cut looks more like a chip carved detail, but Tom seems to be making it in one push. The book is 'Old World Santas' and the details are placed on the trim of 'Santa's' coat and hood. I can copy the cut with a sharp pointed knife but it will take three cuts for each detail and the secondary problem of keeping them all the same depth and size prevents me from trying that route. If I can locate his e-mail address, I will inquire directly to him. Anyone know what that might be?

Thanks,
                Woodcutr   :P

Comment

Working...
                X