Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Dockyard Micro tools

Originally posted by BobT View Post
    I kind of think about it like if you buy a Chevy, you take it back to the dealer, not back to the GM Plant. If your dealer does not stand behind the product they sell, don't buy from that dealer again. No Customer Service from the Dealer makes the Customer Service from the dealer bad, IN MY OPINION.
    It seems like 99% of the carvers I know have a set of Dockyards. I wonder just how far that goes?
    You can get 2MM, 3MM, 4MM, etc. from other manufacturers. Pretty expensive compared to Dockyard though.
    BobT
    Bob,
    In this case the retailer had NO CLUE how to get in touch with them and their wholesaler would not tell them.

In a normal, situation, yes, I would have not hesitated to return it to the retailer and had them deal with the manufacturer--but this situation isn't normal for some screwy reason.

SOMEONE up the line from me was going to get stuck with a crappy tool if I returned it--and it obviously wouldn't have been Dockyard!

I can guarantee you that I got by cheap--Rick Ferry spent more time than the $3.00 I paid him to straighten it out.

If my company simply ignored requests to fix an inferior product, we wouldn't be in business for very long.

I don't disagree with you that a lot of carvers have Dockyards in their tool kits--me included! With my experience, they didn't seem concerned about taking care of someone that spent good money for their product, and ultimately they probably don't care that I will no longer consider buying their tools.

Tim

Comment

I hear that Dockyard tools are crafted by ancient sorcerers, working closely with Cajun voodoo masters deep in the Florida swamps. Oh, and the reason they don't polish their tools is that they hate to be reminded that they no longer have a reflection!!

Comment

OK, so is there an answer? Is there a solution to the problem? Or will we just keep on posting our experiences with these tools???

Tom H
        http://beginnerscarvingcorner.blogspot.com/

Comment

What the heck, they're fabulous tools, our vendors support them, so we should relax... and enjoy!

(Sean, that was ROFL funny!)

With the exception of Tim, and I don't blame him a bit for having his hackles up.

Comment

Kate, Sorry, but I am not sure I understand what you mean when you say our vendors support them. When there is a problem with the tool and you take it back to the vendor and the vendor says contact the manufacturer, that's not support. Unless you mean when we get a defective tool and take it back to our vendor, and the vendor has to eat the problem. Or perhaps you are saying that the tools are so great, that the manufacturer and the vendor have worked out a deal that is based on the manufacturer not wanting to be involved; and "pays off" the vendor to handle problems. The latter I can live with.

By the way, the special "Dockyard" strop that THE CARVING GLOVE GUY sold at the Dayton Show works like a charm.

Tom H

Comment

Well Tom, you have a point.

I worked retail for many years. My experience was in electronics, office supplies and auto parts. Based on this experience I'm going to wager that if someone returns a defective tool to a vendor, the vendor is going to contact the manufacturer and they will issue a credit to the vendor. No profitable retailer would continue do business with a supplier that made them absorb the cost of manufacturing defects.

However, as a consumer I feel that it is is important that a manufacturer makes themselves available (in some way )to their customer base. It's just good business. If people cannot contact you, they become suspicious and wary of doing business with you.

I want one of those strops.. I'll have to tell OBM to put it on my Christmas wish list.

Comment

Where can you get the Dockyard strop? I did not see it on The Carving Glove Guy site.

Dave

Comment

I would email him from the link on his site. I think he has two strops if I'm remembering correctly. The bigger one fits more tool profiles.

Comment

I thought he had one made specifically for Dockyard ?

Dave

Comment

They are for Dockyard tools. Like I said, I can't remember if he has one or two strops...one of them just has profiles for more Dockyard tools than the other if he does. I may not have seen what I thought I did at the show and he was pretty busy when I was there, so it was crowded around the table.

The one I bought has a place to strop the following gouges: 5mm, 4mm, 3mm, 2mm, and 1.5mm. It also does the 75 & 90 degree V tools. I believe there's also a place for the skew, but it's not marked on the side like the others.

Comment

Thanks Michelle.

Dave

Comment

You all might give THE WOODCARVING SHOP a call and talk to Larry Yudis. While at the Dayton Show Larry bought a bunch of the strops from The Carving Glove Guy for resale.

Tom H

Comment

Working...
                          X