• Show
Clear All

• 10 inch Bandsaws

Hello from Philadelphia -
    Does anyone have any comments,pro/con, on SEARS 10 inch Bandsaw
    Thank You

Re: 10 inch Bandsaws

carverJim,

Do a "search" of the massage board archives. There are lots of things written about them in the past, mostly positive and mostly saying "...stay away from the 9".."!

RussL.

Was going to get one myself but ended up getting a beautiful second-hand older 12", 1HP craftsman on craigslist for $100!

Comment

Thanks for your reply Rusl

Comment

I have 14" Jet that does an awsome job,when I change blades I very rarely have to adjust the wheels.

Comment

I bought a 10-inch Craftsman bandsaw about three or four months ago. It's done everything I needed it to so far, but I am a beginner at both carving and using a bandsaw, so I probably don't know enough to recognize problems yet. The original blade got dull pretty quickly, but I had used it on some older pine that had gotten pretty hard. I chose the saw because of the mostly favorable reviews I read and because it will saw wood up to close to six inches thick. I didn't know enough about band saws to feel comfortable getting something on Craigslist or Ebay.

Beth

Comment

The bearings are 2nd rate and need to be replaced with a higher quality sealed bearing.Timberwolf blades and a tuneup helps the cuttin go easier.Tony

Comment

In my opinion stay away from any Craftsmen power tool, they are not made like the old ones at all. In some cases they are dangerous to use. Just my 2 pennys.

Dave

Comment

CarverJim
                I recently purchased one and find the blades are no good. I bought a package of 3 and broke the 1/8" and 3/16". They are not skip tooth.
                I have just ordered 3/16" 4 teeth per inch skip tooth which Lynn Doughty recommends.
                I find the lower guides a pain to adjust. I have not cut out anything over 2" yet. The price was right though and I do not have a lot of space.
                Doug

Comment

got it on sale...had it about a year and a half...so far no problems. Worth the sale price.

Comment

The new Craftsman bandsaws are very nice machines. They are made by the parent company of Rikon and they are practically the same saw. The 10" craftsman is better than the Rikon.. as it has a cast iron top. SOme will stay away from Craftsman..but they don't know anything about the newer machines... they did go through their crap period but a lot of the machines they have now are very good. I have the 12 version of this saw and Ilove it and use the heck out of it. I have had mind for 2 years now, even still on the original bearings. My switch did just burn out and need to have them come and replace it under my warranty.

the 10 inch was on sale for 159.00 in the last week. It's a steal for that price. Don't get the 9 inch... it's a wagging tail dog!

Corey

Comment

Hello and welcome, Jim. It's nice to have you here with us. There is so much to learn here and a lot of great people here to help you.
                      Ron T.
                      http://stickcarving.webs.com/

Comment

Working...
                      X