Suggestions on Gouges

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suggestions on Gouges

I carve with a knife,and a Dremel. I would like to carve Santa Ornaments using a knife and gouges, in the WCI special publication each of the carvers all use difference gouges and sizes for their ornaments. I don’t want to buy a set just a few to get started .Any suggestions?
    Bill

Re: Suggestions on Gouges

It really depends on the size of the items you carve. If you are carving small items you probably don't need any gouges over 12mm or 1/2" in width. The larger you plan to go, the bigger the gouge will be.

Comment

For ornament sizes.... I agree with tree wizard you wouldn't need anything bigger than 1/2 and probably could do up to 3/8 - 10mm. When carving ornaments up to 2 inches around I find that the following are my most used tools:

1/4 or 5/16 #7 (3/8 is also nice)
      1/4 and 3/8 and 1/2 #9 ( great for roughing in beards, folds in clothing etc.)
      1/8, 1/4 #11 Veiner or U-gouge - excellent for beard detail, setting of eye sockets etc.
      A set of Dockyard gouges is my most used tool on many of my carvings.
      I would also add 1/8 and 1/4 60 degree v-tools - the 1/4 is a good tool for roughing in the design as well and 1/8 is great for facial wrinkles.

Hope this helps.
      Corey

Comment

I totally agree with what the others have said, but for my two cents, I can tell you, if I could only have 1 tool, it would be my 8mm #5 gouge. If I only could have 2, I would add an 8mm skew. If I could only have 4, I would add a 3mm #5 gouge, and a v-tool.

Comment

I've ordered tools from this Rick Weib before. He has the best prices on Pfeil tools that I know of. He also has a better selection than woodcraft. The prices on his website are in canadian dollars. If you tell him what you want he can give you the price quickly.

Wood 'N Wildcraft 800-738-7518

Good luck,
          Dan

Comment

Others have helped with sizes, as for great tools. Drake and Denny makes great knives and gouges. Pfeil great gouges.
            Welcome to Drake Knives.com

Dave

Comment

1/4" (6 mm) #9
              1/8" (3 mm) #11

These will work just fine for ornaments or other small carvings.
              Member of Caricature Carvers of America
              My website: https://mitchellcartledgewoodcarvings.com

Comment

Some very good suggestions here. I don't carve small figures so I can't really add anything. I like the Dockyard tools for detail work too.

Comment

Thanks to everyone for your suggestions, this will be a big help in deciding what sizes I should buy. One of the problems was not knowing, what gouge to buy for beards and other facial features.
                  Bill

Comment

Working...
                  X