slow speed wet sharpeners

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• slow speed wet sharpeners

I use the sandpaper and granite block method to sharpen. I strop with a leather strop glued to a board and buff with a wheel mounted on a variable speed drill which I hold in my lap. Looked at the Jet and Tormek and just can't see the price when I think about how many chisels and gouges I could buy instead. Anyone ever made one with an arbor?

As you can tell from this and my previous posts I am lookin to save money while I set up my shop.

Re: slow speed wet sharpeners

You might want to check out the competing low end Grizzly model (T10097 8" Grinder / Sharpener). I am thinking about getting one. It is an 8" x 1.5 rather than a 10" x 2" wheel but I think this will work fine for me. I have had good experience with other Grizzly tools.

Steve

Comment

Originally posted by ironMan-Carve View Post
      You might want to check out the competing low end Grizzly model (T10097 8" Grinder / Sharpener). I am thinking about getting one. It is an 8" x 1.5 rather than a 10" x 2" wheel but I think this will work fine for me. I have had good experience with other Grizzly tools.

Steve
      Do you know if this uses the Tormek jigs?
      edit: I actually saw the jigs that Grizzly sells, and they are pretty reasonable.

I also wanted to add that I very rarely (almost never actually) put steel to stone on my carving tools. I almost exclusively use a leather strop loaded with green compound, or the yellow stuff for my Flexcut tools.

I would love to have one of these for my turning tools, but I think that the only time I would use it for my carving tools is if I dropped one or somehow chipped a tool.

Comment

Phil,

I don't know if it can use Tormek jigs. I assume it does not. However, it has it's own jigs (purchased separately) which look very similar.

Steve

Comment

Thanks Steve. I was editing my post as you were typing your response.

Comment

Phil,

I too use a leather strop with the green (Zam) compound. It works really good but sometimes the edge on my tools seems to get rounded over and take too much effort to cut. At that point, they will cut hair off your arm, but they don't cut wood effortlessly. I normally go to a stone if they do get rounded but this seem like a relatively quick and consistent way to re-sharpen. But since I have never tried a water grinder, I like the idea of only spending $100 to try it out.

Steve

Comment

Another option that cost less then $10.00 is a 5" or 6" sanding disc chucked into a variable speed, reversable cordless drill. Arlene from the carverswoodshop came up with this and it works pretty good, she is a member here on the board. Arlene has youtube videos, one is her using this method, simple, inexpensive and it works.

Dave

Comment

Here is a Link :

YouTube - carverswoodshop's Channel

Dave

Comment

Woody,

I have the Jet, and I love it, but - like you were saying - I bought it for my turning tools. I almost never use anything but a leather strop on my carving tools. The strop wheel on the Jet does come in handy, though. Even on the rare occasion I use stone on carving tools, I have finer water stones anyway... almost always do it manually. I've not chipped one so badly as to need to put it on the wet grinder. (knocking on wood......)

Comment

Hello,

I have the Grizzly 10" wt sharpener. It is a clone of the Tormek machine for $150.00. It does use all of the Tormek jigs. Tormeks patent expired so Jet and anyone else can make a machine just like it. There was a recent test in one of the woodworking magazines, and the test ranks were:

1. Tormek
                    2. Grizzly
                    3. Jet

I kove my Grizzly 10", I would be afraid of the hollow grind an 8" would cause.

Dan

Comment

I think you should consider Tom Ellis' Tool Massager. It looks like a good value to me and you would have the benefit of his knowledge.

Comment

I have a Tormek, love it, it has saved the lives of many tools and in my opinion is worth every penny and the knock off jets, grizzly and any others you see don't compare in the accuracy and ease of use you get with the Tormek, Tormek also has an excellent customer service staff if you have any questions. I bit the bullet and bought the whole set up the only jig I don't have is the moulder cutter jig (don't own a moulder lol) the least used jig is the scissors jig and it still gets used weekly, I offer my sharpening abilities to many friends and neighbors.
                        Carl

Comment

Working...
                        X