Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

beginnger/best sharpening system/cabelas?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• beginnger/best sharpening system/cabelas?

hi all - i need a kick start!!

i started whittling about a year ago w/ a sloyd knife... i was really enjoying it and was following this site regulary. however, i never bot a sharpening system... as my knife got dull, i lost interest.

i need to get that knife sharp and get back at it!!

what should i buy? i have a pocket stone, but i haven't been able to get the knife where it should be. i think a system with several differnt stones is what i need.

also a strop!

give me some advice!

thanks so much

PS - i have a gift certificate to cabelas...i was looking at this Cabela's -- Smith's Diamond Bench Stone Kit

any thoughts?

Re: beginnger/best sharpening system/cabelas?

1 system is the scary sharp method.Use a flat surface like marble,glass or anything flat and attach wet and dry sandpaper to it.I use a 750 grit diamond for damaged knives then 1000,1200,1500 sandpaper then some stropping on leather with jewlers rouge.Tony

Comment

Do a search on the board here for sharpening and you will see many suggestions.

Take a look on Youtube at Arleen Zomer's (carverswoodshop) Sharpening Secrets videos 1 & 2. She uses a sanding disk on a cordless drill with sandpaper and then one disk with leather glued down to it for power stropping.

Once you get the edge sharp all you need to do is strop it every 15 minutes or so. The only time you should need to touch a stone is when you knick the edge.

The scary sharp system is also very good and cheap. And a good leather strop is hard to beat. I have made all my own strops (except for the Flexcut slipstrop) using leather I got from my friend's shoe shop and/or old leather belts.

Tony mentioned jewlers rouge, but I would suggest either Rich Notto's White Gold or Flexcut Yellow Gold stropping compound as they have a little courser grit to poslish the knife edge to razor sharpness.

Comment

LIBuck, One other option is a system I have developed for woodcarvers that uses two diamond discs, and a leather strop, for all of your hand tool sharpening needs. You can view it on ebay, tomz knife massager. It just mechanizes the process that people use on their hand stones, and diamonds.

Good luck, and carve safe. Tom E
        If I took the time to fix all my mistakes, I wouldn,t have time to make new ones.

www.spokanecarvers.com

Comment

Those Cabela diamond stones will work well for you, as will the Scary Sharp system, oil stones water stones, carbide stones, power sharpening systems, etc.

BUT any and all of them require that you develop the proper technique in using them. Learning to achieve and hold the proper angle for your particular carving style is probably most important, followed by NOT rounding your edge at the end of each stroke, in both sharpening and stropping.

I've had really good luck with the old BSA method. Lay the blade flat on the stone, then raise the spine about the thickness of a dime, and try to slice a thin shaving off the stone.......ten strokes like this on one side of the blade, then turn the blade over and do 9 strokes on that side, switch and do 8, switch and do 7...on down to one on each side. Then strop for ten or fifteen slaps. That should bring you up to a good sharp edge.

You can adjust that angle as you develop your own style, but it is important to train your hand to hold those angles consistantly. After a while it will become automatic...your hand will have learned to hold that same angle every time. I call that "muscle memory"......call it what you like.

Some really dedicated carving blades are shaped with no secondary bevel.....they are flat right from the cutting edge to the spine. If you have one of these and want to maintain that fine edge, just keep the blade flat on the stone as you sharpen.

I have both style knives and I like each about equally.

Al

Comment

Originally posted by bigEd_H View Post
            Do a search on the board here for sharpening and you will see many suggestions.

Take a look on Youtube at Arleen Zomer's (carverswoodshop) Sharpening Secrets videos 1 & 2. She uses a sanding disk on a cordless drill with sandpaper and then one disk with leather glued down to it for power stropping.

Once you get the edge sharp all you need to do is strop it every 15 minutes or so. The only time you should need to touch a stone is when you knick the edge.

The scary sharp system is also very good and cheap. And a good leather strop is hard to beat. I have made all my own strops (except for the Flexcut slipstrop) using leather I got from my friend's shoe shop and/or old leather belts.

Tony mentioned jewlers rouge, but I would suggest either Rich Notto's White Gold or Flexcut Yellow Gold stropping compound as they have a little courser grit to poslish the knife edge to razor sharpness.

I have tried Arleens method and it works GREAT, the disc only cost $5.00 and comes with a couple different grits of sandpaper, I got mine at Lowes. I also like Toms machine, it's on my X- mas wish list.

Dave

Comment

If all else fails Sharpening Service at Little Shavers, Rick only charges $2.00, comes back razor sharp !

Dave

Comment

I agree with Golf Coast, when mine get to the point that a good strop will not get them as sharp as I like, I send them to Rick. If you buy the knife from him, he'll sharpen it for life for free.

Once sharp, a good strop with compound will keep it that way forever unless you drop it. Now how would I k now that.

Comment

First, read about sharpening here and on the internet. The actual methods are remarkable (number). For a beginner, learning to maintain an edge is just as important as learning how to move a knife through wood.

The strop is the most important. Use it often. This will make carving more fun.

You can spend a lot or a little. The more expensive (generally speaking) may save a little time and make the job more reliable. Less expense = more time to get it sharp with a higher possibility of making mistakes.

I use a system that's in between....

1x42" Delta belt sander with 180 grit sand paper for grinding interchanged with a leather belt (and compound) for honing. Possible mistakes = it's too fast when grinding leading to possible burnt blades, and no positioning device to ensure constant angles.

I think the advice given earlier by Dave is great - send it to Rick....AND get the strop to maintain the edge. That way, you'll see what a sharp blade is supposed to look like.
                  Member of Caricature Carvers of America
                  My website: https://mitchellcartledgewoodcarvings.com

Comment

I just tried sharpening my knife for the first time using the scary sharp method with wet/dry sandpaper. It worked great for a minute but as soon as I started carving I was getting nicks in the edge. I never had the blade do this before, but I never have done anything but strope it before. I'm not sure if I understand how to sharpen it correctly. I laid it flat so there is only 1 surface (bezel?) down the whole blade. Is this right or should I have lifted the blade so there is a second bezel?

BTW I am new to this site but have really enjoyed lurking on it for the past few weeks. The only problem I see is that I end up here instead of carving.

Comment

It sounds like you have got your blade down to a very fine edge. If you strop a few times, it should get rid of the micro nicks. If not, sharpen again, then strop good a few times to establish a micro bevel on the cutting edge of your blade. That should toughen it up. Make sure you are not scraping sideways with your blade to remove the chips made from your paring cuts. The blade is so thin at this point, that you can easily break those nicks until you get your micro bevel established.

Good luck, Tom E
                      If I took the time to fix all my mistakes, I wouldn,t have time to make new ones.

www.spokanecarvers.com

Comment

Tom makes a good suggestion.

It's also possible that you may not have stropped (or honed) the wire edge off after sharpening....but it's hard to tell by your description.
                        Member of Caricature Carvers of America
                        My website: https://mitchellcartledgewoodcarvings.com

Comment

Working...
                        X