Great gouge strop!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Great gouge strop!

I was just answering another posting and suggested the carver try this strop. I like it so much, I decided to post the link over here too, so more people might see it.

I love this strop for my gouges. I also use the sides, rubbed with compound, for the inside of my Dockyard Micro U and V gouges. Here's the link for you to check it out SLICK STICK STROP-Wood Carvers Supply

It's a great strop, in my opinion! Deborah

Re: Great gouge strop!

Deborah, I have one also and could not agree more. Mine came with a litlle bottle of a liquid compound (I think it is silicone carbide mixed in oil, not 100 % sure), the stuff works great and a little bit goes a long way.

Dave

Comment

Well - wish me luck. I just ordered one.

Comment

I was going to ask Santa to bring me one of those for Christmas but we hit some bumps in the road and Mrs. Claus said that it wasn't in the budget so I remembered a tutorial that I'd run across along the way a couple of years ago and made my own or a close proximity to it. I just finished it this past weekend. I had some leather that I'd picked up at Hobby Lobby last September and the scrap wood all came from the shed including the dowels. The total cost was $1.99. I've already started using it and it works great.

Comment

Dave, mine didn't come with any compound, let alone a liquid kind!! I just use my regular kind. Nancy, you'll have to let us know if yours does.....and I'm pretty confident you'll love the strop!
          Eddy, that is just plain fantastic!!! Great job!!! Deborah

Comment

Originally posted by Eddy Smiles View Post
            I was going to ask Santa to bring me one of those for Christmas but we hit some bumps in the road and Mrs. Claus said that it wasn't in the budget so I remembered a tutorial that I'd run across along the way a couple of years ago and made my own or a close proximity to it. I just finished it this past weekend. I had some leather that I'd picked up at Hobby Lobby last September and the scrap wood all came from the shed including the dowels. The total cost was $1.99. I've already started using it and it works great.

Eddy
            Great Idea I might have to make my own also !

Comment

Hal... It was real simple. I chose to make them both 3-1/2" wide because that's what I had on hand. And I made them both 5" long. It works for me but I guess that would be a matter of choice.

For sharpening the business side of the gouge I merely worked a tool in the wood for the three most common sizes that I have #11, #9, and #6. The other sizes fit in there nicely also. I oversized each groove slightly so as to compensate for the thickness of the suede that I glued on to the wood.

For stroping the inside of the gouges I used pieces of scrap dowel. For my #6 I cut a 1" dowel in half length ways and glued it to my block of wood. For the other sizes I took various sizes of doweled and cut them to the same width as my block of wood. Then I gouged a slight groove in my block, and glued them down. As with the previous block I also allowed for the thickness of the suede that I glued over the dowels.

I used a regular strop to hone my V-tools but for the inside of my V-tools I cut grooves in my block of wood and glued in various thickness of cowhide, shaping it with my Dremel tool after the glued dried.

Comment

Deborah, I got mine from - SLICK STICK STROP FROM CLEVE TAYLOR #514401, the compound is in the picture.

Dave

Comment

I have one that I found at a flea market for $1.00 a few years ago. It works really well although I wish it was a bit longer.

Dan

Comment

Deborah I have had mine for as long as I can remember and I love it as well. The only difference is yours has a handle I like that idea I think I will cut one out on the bandsaw and attatch it one thanks for posting I would never have thought of that. BTW the Crystle Cote worked absolutly fabulous on the eyes another great tip your the best. See you next summer
                    Colin
                    Jim - The Doing is as much fun as the Viewing!
                    Jackson, MS

Comment

Yes, I see that Dave, must be something new, I'll have to check into getting some for mine!

You're welcome, Colin, glad the Crystal Cote tips worked out. It is great stuff!! I have to buy a new bottle, it's lasts forever and mine has gotten too thick and it 'strings' now when I use it. Doesn't work having 'cobwebs' of Crystal Cote running across your carving! Deborah

P.S. We look forward to your visit!!!

Comment

One of the carving magazines had an article a few years back about making your own strop form a basswood board by using each gouge to make it's own "trough". Compound was then rubbed into the trough and the gouge stropped. Can't remember the magazine, but I think the author was female and it was around 3-4 years ago.

Claude

<edit> Found it! Keoma's post about Susan Irish joggled my mind - she was the author. A quick search and here's the article: Easy to Make Shop Aid - Wood Carving Illustrated

Claude
                        My FaceBook Page: https://www.facebook.com/ClaudesWoodCarving/
                        My Pinterest Page: https://www.pinterest.com/cfreaner/
                        My Instagram Page: https://www.instagram.com/claudeswoodcarving/
                        My ETSY Shop: https://www.etsy.com/shop/ClaudesWoodcarving

Comment

Cape Forge has a video on their website, they carve a slot in the leather then use it for that gouge.

Dave

Comment

Claude,
                            If you use the gouge to make the stick trough you better do it while the gough is sharp. Its the old " which came first the chicken or the egg?" problem.
                            Bill K.
                            Every day should be unwrapped like a precious gift.

Comment

Here is the stuff I use on this strop, works great. - SLICK STICK STUFF HONING COMPOUND - 4 OZ. #514403

Dave

Comment

Working...
                              X