Reasonably priced Tools

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reasonably priced Tools

I am searching for reasonably priced Carving tools. I am currently using the Flexcut SK108 but I am looking for chisels and gouges of the same quality that I can hit wilth a mallet with out the flexing.I have looked at the sculpture house and master carvers and Ramelsons but I am curious if anyone here has any suggestions?

Re: Reasonably priced Tools

You will find many discussions on this site on the subject of tools. The general conclusion - don't buy cheap tools! Do a search in the Beginner or Tools areas.

Comment

Pallin is right Twymanok. It comes down to the quality of the steel. Tools can be reshaped and sharpened after you have done a lot of carving, but not if the steel is of poor quality.

Comment

There are a number of ways you can go. Depending on where you live good tools can often be found at fleamarkets, Ebay, antique stores, estate sales and garage sales . The antique tools are often as good as any on the market today. Many are better. I like addis, witherby and greenlee. Keen kutter and buck brothers were also good. (I may be off on the spelling)
        When you are looking for old tools avoid any with pitting rust. A little surface rust is fine. Broken handles are not really a problem as new ones are easy to make. Tools without handles are usually cheaper as well! Avoid short tools as most likely they wouldn't hold and edge and required frequent sharpening.
        You might also want to run and ad on Craigs list looking for used tools. I sometimes do OK at pawn shops.
        The downside to hunting these tools down is time. If you have it you can do allright.
        Good luck,
        Dan

Comment

I have some old Millers Falls palm tools that Rick at Little Shavers sharpened up for me, they cut better then some of the new tools! I found them on Ebay, and one set at a flea market.

Dave

Comment

dont "PLAN" on finding at pawn shops or on ebay-- they can be found if you have lots of time-- not in a hurry. i have never seen them on ebay- but they must show up there cause folks talk about it-- i found a trememdous set of tools at an estate sale-- with some 19 roughouts-- 30 tools-1 tool box- paid $1 each after a short negoitiation-- $50 total. some day it might just happen-- good luck-- but if you are going to purchase-- buy good stuff-- not chinese made.

Comment

Working...
            X