Just ordered another whittling knife - Catonsville

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just ordered another whittling knife - Catonsville

Ok guys, stop talking about the knives you like to use or have... I'm a tool addict.

I already have what I need, but I like tools. So when somebody mentioned a Wharncliffe blade I checked what it was and found a knife that fitted the description.

I don't just collect them, I use them. So even if I have a few other knives, this blade seems like a good idea.

What do you think?

Gilles

Re: Just ordered another whittling knife

Thats a good looking knife

Comment

I forgot to mention that the handle is COCOBOLO. I just love this type of handles...

Comment

I've got 2 in that line.
        The Steel Warriors can be a bear to keep sharpened.

Comment

When i saw that knife it made me think of all the Chinese knives that are hitting the market,look good but poor quality steel.Generally speaking you cant go wrong with carbon steel, the word of mouth is Chinese SS blades cant hold an edge.
          JMHO
          Greg

Comment

Oh oh... I was wondering about that detail, that and if it was easy to sharpen and hone.

I find it hard to sharpen the other chinese made ones I have to my taste. I'll see how this Steel Warriers compare to them.

I will to study that again...

Knife Articles : Sharpening a shallower angle

Gilles

Comment

I don't Live far from Catonsville Pocket Knife. I have been over to talk with them on occasion and pick up a couple of knives. He seems to have a little bit of everything. I have bought quite a few knives from him some are collectors items. I picked up a $12 whittler a few years back as a pocket knife that I didn't mind loosing. Still have it, bolsters are still tight, holds an edge well, and has just become an old favorite.
              Interesting people, He has probably forgotten more about knives and woodcarving than I will ever know.
              I have a couple of Case knives with that same style blade, great rougher!
              Good Luck with your new Knife,
              Goody

Comment

Originally posted by GregD View Post
                When i saw that knife it made me think of all the Chinese knives that are hitting the market,look good but poor quality steel.Generally speaking you cant go wrong with carbon steel, the word of mouth is Chinese SS blades cant hold an edge.
                JMHO
                Greg
                Greg
                I got a Rough Rider single lock blade SS and i have altered the blade and it holds an edge really good, check out my Blog its in there!

Comment

Originally posted by hwallen48 View Post
                  Greg
                  I got a Rough Rider single lock blade SS and i have altered the blade and it holds an edge really good, check out my Blog its in there!
                  Fine job on the modification, too. Noticed you removed the nail pull. Any problems with opening it?

I've found that of the Chinese knives, the Rough Riders do have better steel than most. Wish Frost/Steel Warrior could improve theirs.

Guess I'll stick with my CASE.

Comment

There apparrantly are some exceptions ,While Rough Rider knives are getting some respect in the pocketknife community(ive been collecting for a long time)there is still the bad vibe about Chinese making inferior knives,blatant counterfeits of popular and high end collectables and some of the mainstream American companies(Schrade for example)jumping ship and having them made by the Chinese.Bottom line,if what you have works for you i cant complain(i also dont want to get off on the wrong foot here,dont need to make any enemies)in the meantime,Gilles,enjoy your knife(my opologies for my negativism)
                    GregD

Comment

That's a good knife. It's a Steel Warrior brand and it has 440 stainless blades. I have one just like it and it holds a find edge. I had to take the factory bevel off to make it cut better, though.

Comment

That's good news...

The 440 Stainless is one of the things that made me order it.

I read some good comments about the Steel Warriers and also the Rough Riders, saying that they were good chinese knives. I just remembered that I also ordered a Rough Rider a few days ago...

Some prefer the old blades of the vintage knives, but it seems we have to deal with the new steel they use now.

I have no problem with some new gouges made from Chrome Vanadium or things like that. Some prefer the old grey blades to the new shinny ones.

Well, anyway, thanks for the comments, I'll tell you more when I get it and work on the factory bevel which I also intent to change.

I checked what you guys have done to your whittling knives... nice job

Gilles

Comment

Originally posted by Big John View Post
                          Fine job on the modification, too. Noticed you removed the nail pull. Any problems with opening it?

I've found that of the Chinese knives, the Rough Riders do have better steel than most. Wish Frost/Steel Warrior could improve theirs.

Guess I'll stick with my CASE.
                          John
                          Thank You , No problem opening at all!!

Comment

Here's a post about the same knife - actually someone asking about it. This and a whittler were referenced.

They appear to be Case knock-offs and the price seem reasonable as a gamble. As I stated in the previous thread, the Rockwell of 56-58 leads me to believe that they would not hold an edge very well with heavy carving.

I also added "Catonsville" to the title so that it would allow reference to the other thread in the "Similar Threads" box below.
                            Member of Caricature Carvers of America
                            My website: https://mitchellcartledgewoodcarvings.com

Comment

Re: Just ordered another whittling knife - Cantonsville

Nice lookin knife Gilles!

Dave

Comment

Working...
                              X