Just ordered another whittling knife - Catonsville

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Just ordered another whittling knife - Catonsville

Thank you for the update and useful information.

Really good to have this type of feedback!

Congratulations also on a successful buy!
    Member of Caricature Carvers of America
    My website: https://mitchellcartledgewoodcarvings.com

Comment

realy nice looking knife

Comment

Maybe I outbided you for that one Dave... Nah... it was a Buy Now...

Glad it could be of some help,

Gilles

Comment

Originally posted by gtech View Post
          Today I received the Rough Rider I ordered, so I was now able to compare it to the Steel Warrier.

I must say that they are both nice knives for the price. The SW is a bit of better quality than the RR in my opinion. But it is also cheaper in price. And at first sight and after trying them both on basswood, the blades seem of equal quality and both are 440 SS.

So they are both good knives to buy and use. The SW I got is a bit bigger than the RR and the spring holding the blade open is stronger on the SW. So I would say that it is a notch above the RR. But they look like they could be made in by the same company...

Ok, back to the SW, the more I work on it, the better it gets. I use it to practice on my eyes carving and I think I am getting better at it too. I am actually having fun using that knife.

Gilles
          I had one of the Rough Riders in the "Saw Cut bone", like in the pic. Thought that the springs were weak on it too. Carry a yellow comp that has very cood spring tension.

Comment

Indeed, after checking why, I realized that the SW has 1 thick spring and the RR has 3 thinner springs and only 2 are used for each blade.

I don't know if the 2 blades RRs are different, but the 3 blades RR I have is built that way.

Gilles

Comment

Interesting thread , it always nice to know in case you run across one somewhere .

Comment

I thought I mentioned everything I learned about these knives but I found an info I didn't remember where I saw it until I found it again.

A detail about the quality testing of the Steel Warrior knives is a small punch mark on the blade where it has been tested for the Rockwell Hardness. When I saw the yellow sticker on the blade, I didn't know it meant that EVERY BLADES were tested for the correct hardness.

I had to check on the blades of my 2 SW knives to realize the punch mark was really there were the yellow stickers was before I took them out...

Here is were I saw it mentioned Knife Reviews : Steel Warrior Saddlehorn

Gilles

Comment

Working...
                X