Good Turn Knife

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good Turn Knife

I met a guy at a custom knife show a couple of years back. We got to talking. He saw my cane and an commented on it. I told him I made it and looked at the aluminum one he was using. He said he leaned heavily on his and it had caused a pressure sore on the palm of his hand that wouldn't heal. It looked to me like the end of the cane handle was digging into his palm, cutting off the circulation.

I suggested he get or make himself a cane with a rounded off handle that would fit his hand and be more user friendly.

Anyway, the long and the short of it is I told him I would see what I could do. He gave me his card and I left.

I made a nice cane out of a twisty stick and a walnut handle. He lived just outside of Tucson, AZ and since my sister was living in Arizona at the time, she said she would drop it off the next time she was visiting friends there. That was a year ago this past Christmas. He was completely surprised by it and loved his cane. He excused himself, went to the garage and returned with this knife. It was my turn to be surprised.

I usually give my carvings, sticks, canes and carving knives away to people who I feel need them or can use them. I don't expect anything in return since I'm going to carve and make them anyway.

But, it does show that "One good turn deserves another," or as I like to believe, "What goes around, comes around."
    Ron T.
    http://stickcarving.webs.com/

Re: Good Turn Knife

Good deal Ron! Just one more of many stories that goes to prove, it can be more fun to give than receive. But it's also nice to receive too. Especially from one talent to another. Thanks for sharing..

Tom H
    http://beginnerscarvingcorner.blogspot.com/

Comment

What a neat story Ron. The return gesture had to be a very special thing for you. I find both old sayings are often true. I think the knife you recieved is a special piece of work for your friend. The knife appears to be a Damascus folder. I used to make knives (including folders) and I find this especially desirable. Thanks for sharing this story giving me an unexpected smile.

Comment

Looks like the payback was for many small kindnesses.
        Jim

Comment

Good for you Ron! It makes the return gift even nicer since it wasn't expected.

Comment

There are still alot of good people out there. It is nice when someone appreciates what you do for them.
            JimB

Comment

Hi Ron, Nice story and i'm sure you got a nice warm feeling from giving and receiving. I'm also glad to see you are still making those great canes. I haven't done a Stick for awhile, so today I started one with a spirit on it. I like doing Sticks, they give me satisfaction and that's what it's all about. Keep making those chips Ron. Merle

Comment

Hi Ron, that's a very nice story. Doing a good deed makes you feel good!

Dave

Comment

Hi Ron, great story. It's always a great feeling to be able to help someone and when you get a gift of appreciation in return it's a very nice surprise. It's always good to hear heart warming stories in this day and age. Thanks for sharing it with us.

Comment

Ron T, You my friend have karma working for you. It does'nt get better than that. Way to go. JIM

Comment

Goes to show you, Carvers are a great bunch to be friends with. One good deed deserves another.

Comment

Great story and a nice ending !

Comment

Working...
                        X