Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I know I am inexperienced, but,...

...am I crazy as well ?

I just received the following knife from a friend whom I had told I was getting into whittling.

The reason I ask if I'm crazy is because, thus far, I like this 'sow belly' knife much better than the 3 or 4 Camillus knives I have used for whittling.

However, from what little I have come across doing some research on the internet, I did not get the impression that Owl Head knives were too highly regarded.

From what I have learned thus far, the Berlin Ironworks does not exist and these German knife parts (if they are in fact German made) were shipped off to China for assembly. Any ideas what the "OH-SBP" stands for?

So, what is your experience with these knives? Are they decent in terms of taking and keeping an edge? Would it be worth sending out to have it professionally sharpened. Or, is it worth me trying to sharpen the knife myself and given its middle-of-the-road quality it's no great loss if I learn how to sharpen through a little trial-n-error?

Tim

Re: I know I am inexperienced, but,...

There are a few of them on ebay.
    Not going for much. less than 30 dollars.
    I would keep it.

Comment

Originally posted by tsellati View Post
      The reason I ask if I'm crazy is because, thus far, I like this 'sow belly' knife much better than the 3 or 4 Camillus knives I have used for whittling.

However, from what little I have come across doing some research on the internet, I did not get the impression that Owl Head knives were too highly regarded.
      Any ideas what the "OH-SBP" stands for?

At a guess, Owl Head - Sow Belly Pattern... Basically, if it holds an edge, can be sharpened to "scary sharp", then go ahead and use it and don't worry about what others think.

Claude
      My FaceBook Page: https://www.facebook.com/ClaudesWoodCarving/
      My Pinterest Page: https://www.pinterest.com/cfreaner/
      My Instagram Page: https://www.instagram.com/claudeswoodcarving/
      My ETSY Shop: https://www.etsy.com/shop/ClaudesWoodcarving

Comment

Hi Tim,

What kind of whittling/carving are you doing?
        Ron T.
        http://stickcarving.webs.com/

Comment

The knife looks okay. If it holds a good RAZOR sharp edge and does what you want, don't let the fact that it's being assembled/made in China stop you from using it. I have several Chinese made folders that I have put an edge on and work great. Just make sure you don't let it fold back on you while whittling, with a razor sharp edge it can do some real damage to your fingers.

Comment

I've got a couple of Owl Heads. Not a bad knife. True that they're Chinese made, by it's really not bad. The SowBelly seems a bit large though. Mine is over 4".

The OHSBP translates to Owl Head Sow Belly Pearl. Mine is a OHSBRH (Rams Horn).

Comment

Originally posted by Ron T View Post
              Hi Tim,

What kind of whittling/carving are you doing?
              Thus far I have tried my hand at a few of the 'projects' shown in The Little Whittling Book by Chris Lubkemann using twigs and branches of various sizes. But I am ready to get a little more adventurous and start working with white pine or basswood.

Tim

Comment

Originally posted by bigEd_H View Post
                The knife looks okay. If it holds a good RAZOR sharp edge and does what you want, don't let the fact that it's being assembled/made in China stop you from using it. I have several Chinese made folders that I have put an edge on and work great. Just make sure you don't let it fold back on you while whittling, with a razor sharp edge it can do some real damage to your fingers.
                Yeah, I still am trying to get a handle on what represents a "good RAZOR sharp edge" and I am not sure I am achieving it yet or not.

I did manage to have the blade of a Swiss Army knife fold back on me a while back. Not too bad a cut and I certainly learned from the experience. I take it as my rite of passage .

Tim

Comment

I've similar knife, no problems with it. Its a good knife but inferior to a Queen. Thats only my opinion. By all means use it, give it a try. If nothing else you can learn to sharpen on it.

Comment

You should be able to get a nice clean, polished looking surface on the wood. If not, its not sharp. I think Feb lives down by you, he would help, or a local club. If not well you could finish coming up state and myself or RussL could help you out. We live at the top of state. N.Y., Canada, Vermont area. Hope to help out a fellow carver.
                    Carve On,
                    Kadiddle

Comment

Nice lookin knife. I have several Rough Riders, I think they are also made in China? Great knife for the price.

Dave

Comment

Working...
                      X