X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Knife Maker among us.

A while back ago this thread went up:
    http://www.woodcarvingillustrated.co...-knives-32381/
    I immediately was attracted to the purple knife both in form and function. I contacted the maker and did some horse trading to make me one. A week later I received it in the mail. I am very partial to Cape Forge as I have used them for 15 years. I can't put this knife down! I have carved with it for two weeks now and it does everything I want it to do. I carved two santas start to finish before stropping. Holds an edge as well as anything I have. The fist night I didn't think I was going to like the leather handle. The edges of the new leather was a little rough on the hand after an hour or so. Rubbed it down with a little Neatsfoot oil and lightly sanded it a little the next morning. I have carved with it for 8 hours straight for a couple of days in a row and it feels like part of your hand now.
    The fit and finish of this knife is superb. It was made by a craftsman that takes time and pride in what he does. Every knot and twist in the leather is perfectly spaced. the grind is perfect, aesthetically pleasing as well as fully functional as soon as I got it. Picked up and started carving right away. I had a feeling the curve of the blade would do everything I wanted it to do for my Santas carving and it does.
    I don't usually do write ups like this but I am so impressed with this knife I just had to give credit where credit is due
    Good Job!
    Goody

Re: Knife Maker among us.

Hey, that looks nice. One of the pics looks like the blade is pretty thick, maybe 1/8"? Does that interfere with the work it can do? I know with a thicker knife you get more resistance to a cut. (Easier to push the sharpened end of a pencil through a sheet of paper rather than the eraser end!)

I've done some metal work, I'll one of these days do some metal for myself. I've already done some (Note to novices, when you try to use the point of the knife to 'flick' a freed chip out of a v, 1, make sure it's actually free from the carving, and 2, you must be careful with a detail knife.) Just snapped off a 1/8" long piece of the tip. Easily reshaped it, but it still bugged me that I did it.

You'll likely not snap the tip off that knife! Thanks for sharing about a good seller and a good product. There's a bunch out there, I'd not buy a book of matches off 'em without testing half of them prior to opening my wallet.

Comment

I like it just for the style alone . Guess I will be inquiring about some prices in the near future !

Comment

I'm the knifemaker Goody is talking about, thanks for the kind words Goody. Rook, the blade on all my knives is .070 inches, plus or minus a couple thousandths. The bevel is approximately 19 degrees inclusive, or 8-9 degrees per side.
        Bflobif
        bflobif.blogspot.com
        Buffalo Bif
        www.bflobif.com

Comment

Very nice knife!

Dave

Comment

Do you make your knives to sell or for personal use? Merle

Comment

Hi Merle. I never set out to be a knife maker, I was whittling with a Murphy knife I had in my toolbox, 3.5" blade. The blade started to come loose and I decided to shop for a knife- I set my heart on finding a full tang knife with a smaller blade, hours of searching the internet and local stores later and I could not find what I was looking for. In the course of my search I ran across several sites about making knives, tempering steel, etc and decdided to give it a try. The first one was ugly, but cut well and held an edge better than my Murphy. I made a few more, for myself, family and a couple friends, and eventually ended up selling them on eBay. I'v sold 40 or so, i make them one at a time, all by hand, I have two grinders and a set of diamond hones.

So the short answer (I rarely do short answers!) is both. I whittle whenever I can, using knives I've made, and I make and sell a few dozen knives a year.

BfloBif
              bflobif.blogspot.com
              Buffalo Bif
              www.bflobif.com

Comment

Hey there,
                I just bought one of these knives. So far I really like it. It takes and holds a razor edge (so far) and has a really good feel. I have to agree with Goody that the maker did a fine job on the knife. For 25.00 it's quite a deal. (you also get to choose the color for the handle)

Dan

Comment

Working...
                X