A few more homemade knives

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A few more homemade knives

I just finished these two up this afternoon. The blades are Murphy 1.5" purchased from Little Shavers. Rick was kind enough to pre-shape and sharpen then for me at my request as judging from the photos of them they are a goodly bit thicker that most others. and it would have taken me forever with the equipment I have.

I modified the tang area considerably as they are/were really large and used a different method of mounting them which I have mixed emotions about. The handles are a second generation refinement of the ones I did with the Warren blades. I also used a different wood (zebrawood) on these, which I think is quite attractive. I had just a little bit of daylight left after putting on the last coat of Deft over about 10 coats of Feed-n-Wax, and so I tried them out on a few of the projects sitting on my workbench. They are great! I like the stiffness of the blades, and the handles are very comfortable to use.

I also made my first knife blade this afternoon from an old "extra-thick" sawzall blade. I finish sharpening it up and start on a handle for it tomorrow.

Help me momma!! I think I'm hooked on this knife making thing!

Comments welcome and critique appreciated.

L.P.

Re: A few more homemade knives

You've done a great job on these two knives. I can see the improvement in the handles and I'm looking forward to the blade you just finished making. Once you start it is very difficult to stop. I've got so many blade designs. Of course, some are misses but it is fun.
    Ron T.
    http://stickcarving.webs.com/

Comment

Nice job. I really like the one where the grain line is sort of angled to the blade length.

Comment

Ron and Dicky,

Glad you like them. I'm having a blast making them. I've still got the collaboration going on with another member of this forum, and I have a few Denny gouge and knife blades ordered. I'll hit a point here pretty soon when all this will have to go on pause for a bit as we are getting ready to move soon to the far western corner of the state, but once that is done I'll be in much a better position for all my projects with my own little work space to set up shop. I'm also considering making a few knives to sell for folks with the "big paw" syndrome like myself.

L.P.

Comment

You done a beautiful job on the knives,if they cut as good as they look you got a couple winners there.
          Tony

Comment

More beautiful knives, you did an excellent job!

Dave

Comment

Tony and Dave,

Thanks guys for the thumbs up. They cut even better than they look! And with the shaping that Rick put on them they hone up on my buffing wheel like a breeze.

The VA kinda put a wrench in my plans for today as a simple CT scan took about 2 and a half hours longer than it needed to, and I gotta go back tomorrow to the wound clinic for the diabetic ulcers on my feet. Maybe I'll have time for projects after that.

L.P.

Comment

If Rick worked his magic you know they are top notch. Sorry to hear about the VA and your health, I hope it all works out.

Dave

Comment

I made a couple of knives out of saw_z_all blades, they didn't turn out. After shaping and working on the edge, I sharpened them. They didn't perform, wouldn't hold an edge. I made a few calls to the blade manufacturer. They told me that the blades are only hardened on the edge, no more than 1/4 inch into the blade. After grinding away the teeth, I think I ran into the unhardened area. I gave up on em, hope you have better luck. I should have tried to fire them, but don't know what the steel makeup is. cheaper in the long run to get reliable blades. Hope you have better luck!

Carl

Comment

Dave,

Once upon a time I didn't put much stock in "well wishes". I feel much differently about them now and thank you very much for yours, Dave.

Carl,

Well now that is good to know. I did manage to spend a little bit of time on it this afternoon afterall, and got it pretty darn sharp, but the proof of it will be how long that edge will last. I think in light of the information you have given me that I'll not use a piece of my good wood on it, and fashion a handle from my found stuff. Maybe a nice piece of sweet birch or maple.

Thanks,

L.P.

Comment

Beautiful looking knives. The narrower tang area looks good. Thanks for sharing

Eric

Comment

A little more info on the sawz all blades, I made two of them, on one the edge was straight and right above the teeth, it worked for a while, but after sharpening a few times, it was worthless. The second one was a curved uplifted tip, it was worthless from the get go. I am thinking about trying them again, finding out the makeup for possible heat treat. I was told they are bi-metal, and I don't have any info on the heat treat. Wouldn't hurt to fire them until a magnet falls off, then quench in oil. A file should slide across if successful. Rick may have some helpful info on this, as my heat treating history is "hit or miss". If successful, let me know.

Carl

Comment

Inadv, nice knives, nice knives indeed!!! The zebra wood really compliments the blades...great grain isn't it? I've never heard about anyone taking a Murphy knife and remaking it with a new handle... You and Rick did an excellent job between the two of you! That's certainly one of the great things about wood carvers, always willing to 'experiment' a little and often times, like yours, come up with something new, practical yet, beautiful too... Darn it, I was in the midst of carving some Christmas stuff and now I want to make a few knives too! Ha! Keep up the good work and hope you enjoy your new knives, you really did a great job on them...let us know how they work out for you too!
                          Kenn

Comment

Eric,

Thank you sir! If you go to the Little Shavers web site and click on the link for "Blades" under the header of "Knives" you'll quickly see why narrowing the tang is a good idea. They are really HUGE!

Carl,

Knock on wood, so to speak, I'll probably be posting the sawzall blade knife later this evening. I fitted it to a fashioned maple (found wood) handle last night and did the final shaping, coating with feed-n-wax, and then a quick couple of coats of Deft. I've been using it for a few hours now carving a woodspirit walking stick and it's still holding a darn good edge! I'll also make sure to post the brand and type of the sawzall blade I used. I'm pretty happy with how it turned out so far.

Kenn,

Thank you good sir! The compliments are extra special coming from someone who is very accomplished in the art of knife making such as yourself. Christmas is way off, make some knives! BTW what kind of rivets do you use?

L.P.

Comment

Inadv, thanks for the nice compliment, but I can't hold a candle to some of the real knive makers here on the forum - and it certainly looks like you're one of those! As far as what type of rivets do I use...I went to Lowes, bought some brass rod and cut it to length to match each knife and then chuck in a drill and sand it down to the correct diameter for a snug fit with emery cloth...works like a champ and never comes loose, plus it's cheap too...I still have a foot or more of the brass rod and I've made over a dozen knives now...probably easier and faster ways of doing it, but I enjoy making most everything, so...
                              Can't wait to see your next knives, so keep them coming...now to get to work on a couple new ones of my on! Ha! Save carving to you!
                              Kenn

Comment

Working...
                              X