Whupped with the ugly stick

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whupped with the ugly stick

A goodly while back shortly after the wood carving bug bit me big time I bought a piece of 1.5 X 1.5 piece of poplar from the local Lowes. Not long afterward I came to the conclusion that I would either have to give up on carving or make my own knife handles because my hands were giving me a lot of discomfort. Someone on this forum had the idea of making a mold of one's grip with clay and to use that as a model for making a knife handle. It sounded like a great idea so I made the mold and cut a piece of that poplar stick and went to work on it. Along the way I got sidetracked and started studying the shapes and profiles of every brand of carving knife that I could find. This research lead me to the two shapes that I have shown you all so far with the Warren and the Murphy blades in them. The first sawzall blade handle was just a maple branch slightly shaped and finger grooves sanded in.

Well as fate would have it I found that poplar handle from way back when just about the time I finished the second sawzall blade. After looking at it for a bit and holding it in my hand, I decided to finish the shaping of it and put that blade into it. It is ugly to a fault, but in so far as fitting my hand it does a great job. The flat part of it where it fits against my palm does a great job of holding the blade at a steady angle without trying to roll as I pull or push it through a cut. I still have to install the mosaic pin rivet, but other than that it is finished with a little stain, feed-n-wax and then poly to seal it. The contraption would surely win the odd-ball category in a contest, but it works pretty good especially in an area where I'm trying to scoop out the wood. So instead of trying to hide it I'll keep it on my workbench and make use of it along with the other sawzall and my utility knife on found wood carvings.

L.P.

Re: Whupped with the ugly stick

You did very well on this handle. It's definitely got a beauty all it's own. I made a handle for a razor knife I made and it fit my hand nicely, too.
    Ron T.
    http://stickcarving.webs.com/

Comment

Really there is nothing as comfortable than a knife that fits your hand. Glad you can do that for yourself.

Comment

Another winner Inadv !!

Dave

Comment

Ron, Alan, and Dave,

Thanks guys, but you are being a bit generous with these compliments... When I took that piece of wood out of the baggie I'd had it in for nearly a year it came close to being pitched out. I know ugly when I see it, but when I held it in my hand a recalled how it came to be the shape that it is I had second thoughts. Then I considered that I'd just minutes before gotten the second sawzall blade ready to mount and considered that a sign from the powers that be that they should go together. Beauty isn't always in the eye. Sometimes it is in the function and such is the case with this knife.

After this move is over I'm going to put it to good use too!

L.P.

Comment

Working...
          X