• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sharpening system

Has anyone tried this system?
    Work Sharp

Re: sharpening system

Hi Don, yep I have one of these machines and find it to be useful for hand plan blades, carpenter chisels and 'most' carving tools. Even though it's turning speed is pretty slow it will still heat up a tool so you do have to keep an eye on things. My biggest complaint is that the motor is not reversible in direction. Consequently, knife sharpening doesn't work so well. It is nice to be able to swap out different grits of paper and the time it takes to do so is very minimal.

If I was going to do it over I would by Tomz machine as it would be, IMHO, much more suitable for carving tools and knives. On the other hand if it's hand plan blades and carpenter's chisels then it would be fine.

HTH

Ron

Comment

I have the cheaper WS Don, works good on carpentry tools etc. I rarely use it for my carving tools, and never for knives as it's not reversible. I like my Tomz much better!

http://www.woodcarvingillustrated.co...-massager.html

Dave

Comment

Don,

I have heard a lot of the same sentiments as presented above by Ron. Not very handy for knives. I don't have any experience with it personally so I'm just passing on what I've heard from other carvers.
        I do however have experience with the Tomz machine, and I think I like it better than sliced bread... well maybe not quite, but close! Kidding aside the Tomz will sharpen anything you can put on it and hone it as well all in one simple and very easy to use package. At 34 RPM it is virtually impossible to overheat the steel which is another big plus. Despite the slow speed the diamond plates are quite aggressive and will shape an average carving blade in fairly short order. As an added bonus Tom is one of our peers on this forum and is a true gentleman to do business with.
        That's my story and I'm sticking to it!

L.P.

Comment

Yes Don, I have it. I use it constantly for stropping. The "edgevision" system is great in that it is the only way I know of to actually see the abrasive removing the metal as it happens. This is very useful for reprofiling a gouge.

The sandpaper discs are excellent quality and the motor is very strong.

It is not good for knives since it is not reversible.

Comment

Another vote for the Tomz system. I can strop and my knives and carving tools with ease.
            Well worth the investment in $$$ and time - once you get the hang of it --you won't want to use any other.

Cheers.

Chris

Comment

I have the WS-2000 model and don't use it.

I always end-up using a cotton wheel on a grinder, water stones or a belt sander.

The knife adapter is not good for wood carving knives either.

Gilles

Comment

Just wondering, On Tomz system do you guys own the single or the double?

Mark

Comment

I have a fantastic "Armstrong" sharpening system. Never let me down yet.
                  Brian T

Comment

Originally posted by Mark Fox View Post
                    Just wondering, On Tomz system do you guys own the single or the double?

Mark
                    I have the double and highly recommend it!

Dave

Comment

I have the double and its great!!
                      Larry

Comment

Thanks for the recommendations... I bought the double last night

Comment

Great Choice Mark -- it is money well spent -- you won't be disappointed

Cheers.

Chris

Comment

I have one of Tomz machines, great.
                            Thanks,
                            Greg

Comment

Could't be more satisfied with my Tomz sharpener.

Comment

Working...
                              X