Cheaper Jawhorse link

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cheaper Jawhorse link

I'm still thrilled with my Rockwell Jawhorse. I used to spend valuable carving time trying to figure out ways to hold my carvings securely at an angle that lets me carve with or across the grain. Not no more! Also, major safety improvement when I use the angle grinder/Lancelot.

Anyway, they have a similar on sale at Woodcraft for about $60 less. It looks like a good deal to me. I'm not sure about the quality, but I suspect it'll do the job.

Buy Portamate Mega Vise at Woodcraft

Re: Cheaper Jawhorse link

David,
    I have been looking at the Rockwell Jawhorse for a while... Do you know if there on sale anywhere on Black Friday?

Comment

I second the praise of the jaw horse.I use it in some way almost evey day. I think it may be the most useful tool I have in the shop. I am making some jigs for carving that will be held in the jaw Horse. I will post some pictures when I am done. I have seen a picture of the woodcraft one. I would want to see if it is built as well as the Rockwell. We do not have a store in Mobile any more, it closed last year.

Comment

Agreed CB. You were the one who recommended it to me, so I thank you and am glad I listened. The ability to position my workpiece, with my hands, exactly the way I want it, suspended between the jaws, and then be able to clamp it tight with my foot is so useful that I find I am bringing the unit in off the porch when I carve inside, even though I have two vices (three if you count the Veritas carving vice, which I also clamp in the Jawhorse) on my inside workbench.

I hate for this thread to sound like some kind of a Jawhorse commercial, but I am indebted to my fellow carvers here for all the great tips and info, and when I come across something that improves or enhances my carving experience, I feel duty bound to share it.

I started carving about the same time I was introduced to the internet, in fact I ordered my first four Pfeil gouges from Wood and Wildcraft in Canada via Webtv, if anyone remembers that clunky deal. Anyway I am amazed when I consider how much better informed I am as a result of the stuff I learn on the web and particularly this forum, than I would have been without the internet.

Comment

Amazon.com has them for $159.00 right now.

Comment

I bought one for $159 at Sears on Black Friday... Works great

Comment

Glad to hear it Mark. Sorry I missed your earlier post. I went to Sears first, but they didn't have any in stock. Ended up getting it at Lowes. $179. The lock/unlock procedure becomes intuitive pretty quickly. I'm heading to Woodcraft tomorrow to pick up a gouge and plan to get the Gyrojaw, which I hope will facilitate more even clamping pressures on my irregularly shaped carvings.
              I am a little concerned that I am becoming an infomercial like product junkie.

Comment

Working...
              X