Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ultimate Sharpening Machine...good or bad buy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Ultimate Sharpening Machine...good or bad buy?

I recently ordered the ultimate sharpener less the motor. I found you can buy a 1/4 hp A.O. Smith reversible motor for around 60.00 dollars. This will save you about 100.00 on the sharpener. The motor is a 1725rpm reversible furnace belt drive motor. Now with the ultimate power honer I tried to see if one could save money or not on it and found out with the money you would save (which I think is close to 50.00) it's not worth it cause that doesn't even include the price of the platform it's mounted on. I am not saying one can't save money on the honer but he would have to find a different source for the components. The reviews I got on the sharpener are good so Iam gonna go with it. If anyone has any Ideas on making the honer and saving some real cash let me know. Thanks, Jim

Comment

I too have thought of making my own version of the wooden wheel contraption. Turn the wheels on the lathe (or borrow one) and just leave them spinning on the lathe to sharpen or drive a lag bolt in one end, cut off the head and chuck it in the drill press. Running true and slower speeds are the tricky part, but to save a buck, we can all get a little creative!

I just wonder how well stropping compound sticks to a maple wheel like those in the ad?

mc

Comment

Have you considered using an electric drill to power your sharpening machine? I have a Buffalo brand 1/2" vsr variable speed reverseable drill that I got for about $15.00 on sale at Busy Beaver. It works great for me. I have the electric quarter hp motors that I could also use but no variable speed reverse on those. Just a thought...The drill has a 1/2" chuck and also doubles as a "hammer" drill if needed. I bought more than one and use one on my workbench to drill holes and drive screws. For the price, I think the drill is worth it. I am using one to power my Delta 1"x30" belt sander. I can run it slow or fast and anyspeed in between. I plan on making the wooden maple wheels on my woodlathe also. I have the rouge already. I want to make the maple wheels so I can polish the inside of the wood carving tools as well as the outside. I have the mandrel to mount the wheels on also. All I need is time to get it done.

Comment

Ia'm not sure what sharpening system your talking about ... but if it is the Ultimate Sahrpener that chipping away sells with the leather belt .. I have had one for three years now and wouldnt use anything else .. I love it and the interchangeable belts are great .. but with any system it's not infallible .. you have to konw your tool's and not burn them sharpening .. for knives ..the leather belt is the best thing I ever used .. But then again .. thats just my opinion..
          P.S. By the way .. I went to your website and your faces are great ! .. Look"s alot like what Fred Coglow does ..

Comment

Hey Jim -

I too have been thinking about putting the power sharpener together on my own. Was wondering where you are finding the AO Smith motor? Is this local or online?

ChuckT

Comment

Chuck, I got my motor local. Iam a retired heating and cooling contractor so Iam quite familiar with that motor. All it is , is a belt drive furnace blower motor. It is 1/4 hp, has a 1/2 or 5/8 keyed shaft on it, it runs at 1750 rpm but depending on the size of the pully, you can reduce the speed of the motor. By the way it's also a reversible motor. All you do is switch a couple of wires around, under the electrical plate it tells you how to do this real simple. If I was you I would go to a local heating contractor and ask him if he has a used 1/4 hp belt drive motor for sale. Bet you could get one from 10-20 dollars. You can get a new one at a heating company for around 60.00 Hope this helps you. Right now Iam working on the power honer as I have the sharpener less motor coming. Will let you know how much I end up saving on the honer. By the way does anyone know why they use maple on the power honer? Could one use something other than maple? I think the way they got the compound to stick to it is they used a red first that had wax in it so when you put the other on it will stick more readily. Gotta go. Jim

Comment

Working...
              X