$15 Pocket knife vs. Oar Carver

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• $15 Pocket knife vs. Oar Carver

Can a 15 dollar knife compete with an Oar Carver?

Let’s start at the beginning. Every time I read about someone modifying a pocket knife for carving I thought I needed to try that. I started searching for a perfect candidate but somewhere along the way I realized that I didn’t have the right tools to reshape a blade. BUT… I came across an affordable knife that I might not have to reshape, just sharpen.

It’s a Frost Steel Warrior Warn Cliff Whittler. That’s how they spell it – Warn Cliff, not Wharncliffe. It’s made with 440 stainless blades. I picked one up for $14.99 but the prices range all over the place.

There are other pocket knives with Wharncliffe blades but they all cost more than an Oar Carver so I didn’t consider them.

When it arrived I spent quite a bit of time sharpening the main blade on my Massager. (I had to do the same to my Oar Carver) I decided to leave the small blade alone for the time being. The Wharncliffe blade sits out at an odd angle from the handle but I have other knives that do the same and that doesn’t bother me.

The results: The blade is sharp and cuts cleanly and smoothly. Time will tell how it holds up. It matches up very well with the Oar Carver on that point. As far as quality and feel it’s not even close. The Oar Carver has a nice solid feel that the Frost doesn’t.

Does it beat the Oar Carver? No.
    Does it carve? Yes.
    Is it worth 15 dollars? Yes.
    Will I use it every day? No, but I will keep it in my truck along with a few pieces of bass wood for the times when I’m unexpectedly stuck somewhere wishing I had my carving tools. If I have to, I can use it to open a box and not worry about ruining the blade.

Re: $15 Pocket knife vs. Oar Carver

sounds like a fair assessment to me, thanks. I too have a commercial folding whittler, the Rough Rider Dual Whittler- I'd give it the same rating as you give the Frost. If it wasn't new (and a gift) I might take it apart and make new blades.....
    Buffalo Bif
    www.bflobif.com

Comment

Originally posted by Trebor56 View Post
      Can a 15 dollar knife compete with an Oar Carver?

Let’s start at the beginning. Every time I read about someone modifying a pocket knife for carving I thought I needed to try that. I started searching for a perfect candidate but somewhere along the way I realized that I didn’t have the right tools to reshape a blade. BUT… I came across an affordable knife that I might not have to reshape, just sharpen.

It’s a Frost Steel Warrior Warn Cliff Whittler. That’s how they spell it – Warn Cliff, not Wharncliffe. It’s made with 440 stainless blades. I picked one up for $14.99 but the prices range all over the place.

There are other pocket knives with Wharncliffe blades but they all cost more than an Oar Carver so I didn’t consider them.

When it arrived I spent quite a bit of time sharpening the main blade on my Massager. (I had to do the same to my Oar Carver) I decided to leave the small blade alone for the time being. The Wharncliffe blade sits out at an odd angle from the handle but I have other knives that do the same and that doesn’t bother me.

The results: The blade is sharp and cuts cleanly and smoothly. Time will tell how it holds up. It matches up very well with the Oar Carver on that point. As far as quality and feel it’s not even close. The Oar Carver has a nice solid feel that the Frost doesn’t.

Does it beat the Oar Carver? No.
      Does it carve? Yes.
      Is it worth 15 dollars? Yes.
      Will I use it every day? No, but I will keep it in my truck along with a few pieces of bass wood for the times when I’m unexpectedly stuck somewhere wishing I had my carving tools. If I have to, I can use it to open a box and not worry about ruining the blade.

That looks like a Case knife? Is it? if so and you got it for $15.00 you stole it!! lol
      "Lif iz lik a box "o" choc lets, ya nevr kno whut yull git!"

Comment

Thanks for the comparison Bob, I have done a couple of the electrician knives that Nomad wrote about, and they work good, I'll have to keep my eyes open for an Oar Carver, as it seems like they are the best quality.

Tom
        If I took the time to fix all my mistakes, I wouldn,t have time to make new ones.

www.spokanecarvers.com

Comment

Don't mean to rain of any ones parade, but the latest OAR CARVER that I purchased, has several quality issues. First, the thumb nick was ground too close to the top of the blade. Second, the heal of the blade sticks out when folded. Third, the main blade on the two blade knife is considerably larger than the blade on the single blade knife. It's still my go to knife, but they need to pay more attention to the details...It does carve. It does hold an edge, after you get rid of the factory grind/bevel and sharpen. Maybe I expect to much from $65 pocket knife.

Tom H
          http://beginnerscarvingcorner.blogspot.com/

Comment

I had the Oar on my list for ages...but the price and the unsuitable grind kept me away. Then I bought the Flexcut Whittlin Jack and all thoughts of the Oar went out the window. An almost ready to use knife for half as much.

That Steel Warrior wharncliffe certainly does have an unusual angle to it.

Comment

Originally posted by schwert View Post
              I had the Oar on my list for ages...but the price and the unsuitable grind kept me away. Then I bought the Flexcut Whittlin Jack and all thoughts of the Oar went out the window. An almost ready to use knife for half as much.

That Steel Warrior wharncliffe certainly does have an unusual angle to it.
              That Flexcut Whittkin Jack looks good and it gets good reviews.

Comment

I just don't see any value in the Oar. Mind you I have never had one....However it seems to me if a Queen canoe is being modified as extensively as this is for blade shape, the edge should be properly ground at least to a point that major reprofiling (of D2) is not needed for the price asked.

This flexcut out of the ****able plastic display wrap is almost ready to use. 5 minutes stropping and Bob's Your Uncle. It has its defects like shallow nail nick and blades that do not snap down fully into the handle without a bit of a shove, but honestly for 40 bucks it seems to be a major improvement over the Oar.

Comment

What does it mean to "beat the Oar Carver?" If it performs the same function while costing less I would say it "beats the Oar Carver."

Comment

Originally posted by schwert View Post
                    I just don't see any value in the Oar. Mind you I have never had one....However it seems to me if a Queen canoe is being modified as extensively as this is for blade shape, the edge should be properly ground at least to a point that major reprofiling (of D2) is not needed for the price asked.

This flexcut out of the ****able plastic display wrap is almost ready to use. 5 minutes stropping and Bob's Your Uncle. It has its defects like shallow nail nick and blades that do not snap down fully into the handle without a bit of a shove, but honestly for 40 bucks it seems to be a major improvement over the Oar.
                    Got one from Santa, great tool!

Comment

I have an Oar Carver.....several years old....great knife...but I did have to modify the blade angle....if you find something cheaper...buy it......but remember, as my old uncle used to say...."quality remains, long after the price is forgotten"! LOL
                      "Lif iz lik a box "o" choc lets, ya nevr kno whut yull git!"

Comment

I use my Oar Carver every day and to date, I've not found anything as good. Excellent quality!
                        Sam
                        Homosassa, FL

Comment

I am the not so proud owner of both the two blade Oar knife and the newer single blade lock back knife. They are both high quality knives with great steel that stays sharp and the blades have a good shape.
                          On the negative side I do not find the two blade handle comfortable. The single blade lock-back has the worst excuse for a locking system I have ever seen. The blade is very tight with a very tight spring action when you open it. I did manage to nick myself just trying to get it open. After that trying to release the lock mechanism is a spring device that is mounted parallel with the blade and has to be pushed sideways out of the way of the blade. This means you have to get your finger right in the way of the sharp blade as it closes. The only way I will close it is to use a piece of wood to push the spring lock over to the side and then close the blade. This is worse than just dangerous. The knife once open is very comfortable to hold and is a great knife. Just don't be in a hurry to close it.
                          BALDY

Comment

I agree with everything Baldy says about the OAR CARVER. Even with its faults It's still my go-to knife. In small sample of new OAR CARVERS, I found that over half were of a better "fit and finish", than the other half. Consistant quality is an issue. But the blade steel is great.

Tom H
                            http://beginnerscarvingcorner.blogspot.com/

Comment

Working...
                            X