Finally Found Pfeil

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finally Found Pfeil

So... I was looking for a set of intermediate (mid) sized mallet worthy tools to do some mid-larger work (compared to the small carvings I do now). I needed somewhat bigger sizes just for faster removal of stock compared to what my small Flexcut and Millers Falls tools would do. And, I think 8" or so is just about the right size for me-I'm very happy to try the mid size tools. So I went against all practical logic and conventional wisdom and bought a set. This one PFEIL "Swiss Made" Intermediate Set of 7 Tools - Amazon.com I really think I'll use most of these and I added an additional #11-5mm veiner to round out the selection. I thought 7 for $150 shipped was decent. I hope Pfeil lives up to all the hype. Anybody here use the mid size Pfeils?

Re: Finally Found Pfeil

I think you will be happy with the performance of the Pfeil gouges. FYI - If you're looking for Pfeil tools in the U.S. you should know that Woodcraft has an exclusive deal for distribution within the U.S.

Comment

I have set of Pfeil intermidiates. Use them 7 love them.
      Good tools all way around.

Bob

Comment

I use their palm tools and love them!

Comment

Good to hear so many good things about Pfiel Swiss Made tools. It seems like no one has anything negative to say about them. Usually glowing reports follow their mention. I don't expect them to make me a better carver, but it's always nice having the right tool (and a quality one) for the job. Oh, and about that exclusive deal with Woodcraft... Did I do something wrong? I just purchased tools at the lowest price I saw available. I remember reading about this "exclusive deal" a while back, but didn't even think of it earlier. I just saw the opportunity to save $20-30 and took it. I just noticed pallin's comment and it made me curious. What's the story?

Comment

I don't know the story. The catalog I picked up in Switzerland in 2001 lists only Woodcraft. I believe there are several distributors for Pfeil tools in Canada, and some WCI members have reported saving money by purchasing gouges from Canadian sources. The best way to buy them is in Switzerland - LOL. I bought my first Pfeil gouge - a #3-12mm - in Brienz for $21US.

Comment

I have a set of 6 mid sized gouges that I bought to complete my other Pfiel tools, and it is the same quality than the standard ones, just shorter.

I was told that they were cheaper in price only because they were shorter, and couldn't be sharpened as many times as the longer ones.

I use mine as often as the normal ones and even like them better for some types of carving.

Gilles

Comment

There are a bunch of dealers in BC

Magard Log Home Building Tools. Might have a box of every tool Pfeil made in the "Pfeil aisle" in the warehouse. Even has the $800 full Pfeil carver's tool set! He's a night-owl = don't call before 1PM PST.

KMS Tools (Kamloops, BC & other places).

Wood n Wildcraft/Rick Wiebe in Westbank BC. He's a WCI member here. Probably the best prices anyplace.
                Brian T

Comment

Great tools to use, sweet through wood.

Bob
                  Before they slip me over the standing part of the fore sheet, let them pipe: "Up Spirits" one more time.

Comment

Wow! Just got done using the Pfeil tools I received and man!!! These things cut wood like crazy. That said, I'm not sure they cut a "whole bunch" better than say my Millers Falls tools, but the "feel" I get and feedback from the wood. Its like I can feel every fiber being split. I love that aspect of them. Plus, add the mallet to the equation and they're in another league as far as cutting power goes. I got a Shop Fox 30 oz mallet to complement my Wood Is Good 12 oz (I imagine it will still see the most use). To top all this off, I'm in waiting for an Allen Goodman knife. I'm very pleased with Pfeil and will probably buy more sometime in the future (definitely need to save up for a while, though).

Comment

Oh oh, Woodeneye, that could be a dangerous experience! I bought several Pfeil gouges after experiencing my first one from Brienz. Then, Woodcraft had the big "Brienz Collection" on sale! Twenty-five tools in a fitted beechwood case, with an engraved brass plate for my name. No longer available.
                      I still use only 5 or 6 gouges on any project.

Comment

Those are the two mallets that I use, too.
                        The 12 doesn't have the jam to push big gouges.

You can move a lot of waste wood with the 30 and a 9/15 gouge.
                        Then I use a 5/35 and a 2/30 to smooth things out.

You 'feel' the wood? Me, too. Could be how I sense when honing would be a good plan.
                        Brian T

Comment

Yes, I get a tactile sensation similar to the way a good graphite fishing pole lets you "feel" the fish on the other end nibbling away. With the wood, it's just fibers and texture feel, I think. I can sense when I have the angle too steep, and I think that feel was what was missing from the Flexcuts. This may be due to the flex in them or some other reason. Anyway, the Pfeils are good. This is all how I perceive it, mind you. That's not to say the Flexcuts aren't a valuable part of my collection, because they are. They cut through wood great.

Comment

Now you've done it, Woodeneye! This discussion of Pfeil tools sent me back to the online source, and I ended up buying two more gouges.
                            Seriously, I recently bought my first fishtail gouge and really love it! I found it works well for chip carving - even better than a chip carving knife!

Comment

Haha! Happy to give you that "nudge." Enjoy!

Comment

Working...
                              X