X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mark N. Akers
    replied
    Re: 1/4 V tool

Dennis, the smaller the # down the sharper the Vs going to be, the actually "V" would be approx. a 45 deg. V, a 100 deg. is almost a "L" shape, I agree a 45 Deg. is more of a useful V tool to me.Hope this helps.Remember a Ramelson normally doesn't come sharpened, and a Drake does, that helps me allot when making my decision.

Leave a comment:

• Steve Reed
    replied

I use a soft V-tool for roughing in features. My V-tools are for "hard" lines, arms, pant leg bottoms, etc.

Leave a comment:

• scooter
    replied

My V-tool very rarely gets used for carving. I use it in place of a pencil.

S~

Leave a comment:

• Gulf Coast Handyman
    replied

Originally posted by pallin View Post
    I am curious how other carvers are using their V-tools. Are you using them for rapid wood removal (rough shaping), or for making fine grooves (as in Santa beards), or what? I use mine only for making grooves, but I generally prefer making grooves with a knife.
    I use mine for both.

Leave a comment:

• woodeneye
    replied

I'm with you pallin, I usually use mine for grooves... but sometimes I use it to clean up the crook in the neck or between feet and legs-well you get the picture. I like my v-tools.

Leave a comment:

• pallin
    replied

I am curious how other carvers are using their V-tools. Are you using them for rapid wood removal (rough shaping), or for making fine grooves (as in Santa beards), or what? I use mine only for making grooves, but I generally prefer making grooves with a knife.

Leave a comment:

• woodeneye
    replied

I find a 45 degree tool to be fine and don't mind using it compared to a 60 at all, but I don't like to go the other way. I find 70 to be just a bit too much... Just an opinion and usage thing.

Leave a comment:

• Dennis Taylor
    replied

I was hoping to determine if there is a difference in the degree of the VEE tool? I see a lot of mention of a 60 degree v tool, in palm tools it seems to be a 60 degree vee is the tool of choice, but is a 70 or 45 degree 1/4 just as good for an all around fee tool usage in a palm tool?

Leave a comment:

• pallin
    replied

The V-tool angles that Robson Valley referred to are as follows: (Pfeil numbers, full size)
    #12= 60 deg. #13= 90 deg. #14= 55 deg. #15= 45 deg. #16= 35 deg. They come in widths from 1mm to 30mm but some only 3mm & 6mm. The #14's are rounded at the V. You can also get some long bent & spoon bent #12's.
    In the Intermediate size gouges you can get only #12's and one #14-6mm

Leave a comment:

• woodeneye
    replied

Pallin summed it up nicely, larger v-tools can make smaller v cuts. Sometimes it's nice to have a smaller one to work in areas where a larger won't fit, but most of the time, I'm reaching for a 6mm and just using a small portion of the cutting edge.

Leave a comment:

• pallin
    replied

RV makes an important point - you rarely use a gouge to make cuts equal to the overall dimensions of the gouge. That is, you should not attempt a 1/4 inch cut (wide or deep) with a 1/4 inch V-tool. Many gouges are designed to use only a portion of the cutting edge - sometimes the middle, sometimes the corners. When I look at the shavings from my relief carving, most are less than half the width of the tool I'm using.

Leave a comment:

• Butch_Speer
    replied

I've been really pleased with Henry Taylor tools. They will need to be tuned tho.

Henry Taylor Palm Tools

Leave a comment:

• Brian T
    replied

In terms of angle, there are six or seven different tool numbers, all for different angles.
    1/4" translates as 6mm metric.
    I would be happy to give you all the tool # numbers for all the different angles but it seems that I have hidden the *&&*^%[email protected] book on myself. Not happy.

Whenever you need to make a very wide and deep V groove, run a stop cut down the middle. Cut back into that with skews. Go again until you reach the depth and width that you need.

When I want a Vee groove, 3/4" wide and 3/4" deep, there is not a tool on the planet that can cut that in one pass.

Leave a comment:

• Gulf Coast Handyman
    replied

Pfeil or Drake for me.
    Drake Knives.com - V Tools

Leave a comment:

• woodeneye
    replied

Does it have to be 1/4" or can it be the metric equivalent. If so, I really like my Pfeil V tool. Like my Flexcut and Millers Falls, too. The Millers Falls are now defunct, so you have to find them second hand. In metric (such as Pfeil or Two Cherries uses) you are looking for 6mm.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X