electric log splitters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• electric log splitters

for 40 yrs I have split logs for the fireplace with a maul and 10 lb sledge. Well cant do it anymore. Not with the stenosis and arthritis blah blah. My neighbor is clearing his lot and will have tons and I mean tons of wood to give away. Mainly white oak and catalpa. My choices are accumulate a bunch of logs and then rent a splitter, at about 150 a day or find and buy a electric splitter. Me thinking to wait until spring and see if I can find a used one on craigs list or something.
    Anyone use these? I cant imagine they have the power of a gas engine but if they can do 90 percent of the wood I would be ok with that. Anything really narly I would throw out.
    let me know what you think. Also buying one used? good idea ? soso idea?

Re: electric log splitters

I have never used one but I think the power is hydraulic the electric motor just drives the pump.

Comment

Save some of the catalpa for carving.
      I think you're right electric won't be near as powerful as gas. Would probably work ok on green wood.

Randy

Comment

yeah I have tried carving catalpa and frankly don't like it don't know why exactly. I do like oak and maple but for some reason catalpa doesn't work for me. Wish it would to be honest it grows like weed around here.

Comment

I hire the kid up the road. Tell him how buff he will get swinging that maul. If your a good salesman you can talk him into working free for the great exercise.
          Mike

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Chips View Post
            Save some of the catalpa for carving.

Randy
            Agreed.

rickm... let your local mallet and chisel carvers know about the catalpa. They'll love it.
            ....Dave
            Old carvers never die... they just whittle away.
            www.shellknobwoodcarvers.weebly.com

Comment

Hey Rick, I just wanna let you know how jealous I am. Haha. Catalpa grows around here but not abundantly. Anyway, regarding the electric splitter, my buddy has one he just got this year and says while it has limitations, he wishes he would have got one years ago. Just someone's opinion, so take it with a grain of salt.

Comment

yeah wood the best price I can find is about 250 and of course my wife doesn't want me to spend that much. Im sure they are not near as good as gas but hey if I can get some done Im happy. the plan right now is to wait until spring or summer and see if I can find one used, unless of course some woodcarver guy wants to send me one. lol.
                p.s. I have 5 catalpas in my yard, only one has good size wood, the forest around here has catalpas taller than the white and red oaks. and there is a lot of them. Jealous now?

Comment

Originally posted by rickm View Post
                  Jealous now?
                  Yes!

Comment

well I could send you some but the logs I have are about as big around as my wifes car. lol

Comment

Rick I will be looking at the DR wood splitter. Electric model, trying to get away from the problems with ethonal fuel,, on seasonal use equipment. Electric only for these reasons. I think because it only is used for a short time and sits the rest of the year, it would work best for my needs. Will let you know how things turn out in the spring.
                      Carve On,
                      Kadiddle

Comment

Originally posted by rickm View Post
                        well I could send you some but the logs I have are about as big around as my wifes car. lol
                        If you're talking large logs, forget the electric splitter.

Comment

Working...
                        X