using a hooked push knife

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• using a hooked push knife

i am looking for an easier and cleaner method for carving a relief carving using a chisel/gouge to clean up the stop cuts on a relief carving.

i see flextool has 2 knifes that might help but don't have either or any experience using them.

1. the 1st is the hooked push knife which has a 1" curved blade on a slightly angled shaft.

2. another knife is the hooked skew,which is similar but doesn't have the bent or angled shaft.

is this going to help speed up and make cleaner the removal of stop cuts?

thanks
    mike

Re: using a hooked push knife

In order to make clean and efficient stop cuts in relief, the gouge or "cleaning tool" must meet the stop cut precisely. If you angle the gouge down to the stop cut, the face of the gouge will not reach the bottom of the stop cut unless the "wings" are angled back to allow the cutting edge to reach the bottom. Or, you must curve the gouge cut so that it meets the stop cut squarely.
    As a relief carver, I don't use a hooked skew (or push knife) for this purpose and see no advantage in its design.

Comment

I am not a relief carver but I do use a full size hook skew from time to time, at the corners of eyes and teeth and some flex lines on hands.

Comment

"Hook knife" always gets my attention!
        Mike can you post a link? I'd like to see your considerations.
        Brian T

Comment

Phil is correct. I see no advantage to the hooked push knife on relief work either.
          Arthur

Comment

I found them = Flexcut.
            The only merit that I see is that they are a #1 sweep = flat.
            If you're coming up to a vertical with a tight sweep like a #8, the wing tips hit the awall ahead of the bottom of the gouge and you can't finish the cut. Right?

The classical fix is a gouge with back swept wings.
            The simple fix is to back off on the sweep to something like a 2/12 or a 3/12.
            I can roll a 5F14 onto one wing tip and cut parallel to the vertical. Seems to tidy up very nicely.
            The weird fixes, if you don't need a sharp 90 degree joint, is to clean along the junction with Mora #171 hook knives (the hooks tuned up carving sharp at 12 degrees, like scorps.) A good J-sweep crooked knife can do a lot more than just clean up (Kestrel Tool, North Bay Forge). I use these things between the floors and the walls of dishes.
            Brian T

Comment

Robson Valley makes a good point - go to a flatter gouge to meet a vertical stop cut. But, if I'm carving down to a background level beside the stop cut, I like to use a #5-12mm. Many of us relief carvers hate to modify our gouges for a specific purpose.

Comment

Working...
              X