TOMZ Knife Sharpener

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TOMZ Knife Sharpener

I came across a video on YT about this machine. It looks like one I designed but never built many years ago to sharpen broadheads. I can't find any source in my searches. Is it still available? I found older threads that seem to indicate it works pretty danged well.

Jack

Re: TOMZ Knife Sharpener

check the classifieds here on the forum. There's one listed there. You can click on Tom Ellis profile and contact him directly. I believe he still makes them
    Soggy.
    If you're looking for me, you'll find me in a pile of wood chips somewhere...

Comment

I got hold of Tom and ordered a single shaft sharpener. Ought to come in handy for knives, gouges and broadheads.

Comment

Jack, I'm a proud owner of a Tomz. You are going to love it. There's not a dull knife in the house, he he. I love it. It is easy to use and you can put a very sharp edge on just about any kind of knife. Ginny

Comment

What Ginny said hehe

Comment

What Ginny and Sean said.

Comment

You will not be dissapointed. As I am sure you know Tom is a good guy and is very helpful. One of the best purchases you can make.

Safe Carving and God Bless,

Mark

Comment

I bought a Tomz last year. It does a super job. You'll love it.
                DickB

Comment

My TOMZ is the best investment I ever made!
                  Keep On Carvin'
                  Bob K.

My Etsy page: https://www.etsy.com/shop/rwkwoodcarving

My Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/robert.kozakiewicz.9

My RWK Woodcarving Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/rwkwood

My Pinterest page: https://www.pinterest.com/rwkoz51/

Comment

I have had mine for about a month now. i also bought two of the stone disks so that I could load them with work sharp disks of various grits. Tom's diamond wheels are great but I just like being able to use the less aggressive sandpapers of varying grits.

Locking your wrist against the moving disk feels a little odd at first but in no time at all you have gotten used to it. It is all gravy from there.

IMO the tool offers you the best means to stop dead in the middle of your carving and sharpen your tool.

It has such a small footprint that you can set it up conveniently right in your carving station and just stop carving to sharpen. Before this I would not even leave out the stuff needed to strop my gouges and knives because there was just too much stuff to leave out and about.

How many times have you just been caught knowing that your edged tool needs sharpening in order to continue to work effectively but you just don't want to stop to dig out the stuff to do the job? So you start working less efficiently than you should be and the work suffers for it.

While the ability to strop on the spot is great there are more times than you would think when you have stropped your edged tool too many times and you now have to really bring the edge back. I think we kid ourselves into thinking we can just strop our edged tools continually and be fine. That is far from the case if you want to be working as efficiently as possible. I would not at this point strop a tool more than ten times before edging the tool again. I have little doubt that at ten times you have already started to round over the edge. This is easy enough to prove to yourself. Just keep track of how many times you strop your tool and watch the efficiency go in the tank. Now under normal conditions that means bringing out wayyyyy more stuff than just the strop to sharpen your tool. But if you have this tool it is just a matter of loading the right disc onto the shaft and sharpening away. If it takes about a minute to strop a gouge it takes about three minutes to edge and strop a gouge....nothing really. And Bang you are right back to carving with a tool that is singing its way through the wood. Three minutes compared to in my case, 30 minutes just to set up all the sharpening stuff and probably another ten to fifteen minutes per gauge to edge and strop. Frankly, you go from an impractical pain in the neck solution to a totally practical and extremely effective sharpening system that makes sharpening a part of your carving process as opposed to something you do separately, sometimes muttering under your breadth. The sharpener is totally silent and as a result not at all invasive. You don't go from peaceful interaction between you, your workpiece and your edged tool to some sort of grinding machine wailing away like a scalded dog. This tool makes for a night and day difference in you carving enjoyment and carving effectiveness. What is better than that?
                    Providing

Comment

Originally posted by nugj View Post

I have had mine for about a month now. i also bought two of the stone disks so that I could load them with work sharp disks of various grits. Tom's diamond wheels are great but I just like being able to use the less aggressive sandpapers of varying grits.

Locking your wrist against the moving disk feels a little odd at first but in no time at all you have gotten used to it. It is all gravy from there.

IMO the tool offers you the best means to stop dead in the middle of your carving and sharpen your tool.

It has such a small footprint that you can set it up conveniently right in your carving station and just stop carving to sharpen. Before this I would not even leave out the stuff needed to strop my gouges and knives because there was just too much stuff to leave out and about.

How many times have you just been caught knowing that your edged tool needs sharpening in order to continue to work effectively but you just don't want to stop to dig out the stuff to do the job? So you start working less efficiently than you should be and the work suffers for it.

While the ability to strop on the spot is great there are more times than you would think when you have stropped your edged tool too many times and you now have to really bring the edge back. I think we kid ourselves into thinking we can just strop our edged tools continually and be fine. That is far from the case if you want to be working as efficiently as possible. I would not at this point strop a tool more than ten times before edging the tool again. I have little doubt that at ten times you have already started to round over the edge. This is easy enough to prove to yourself. Just keep track of how many times you strop your tool and watch the efficiency go in the tank. Now under normal conditions that means bringing out wayyyyy more stuff than just the strop to sharpen your tool. But if you have this tool it is just a matter of loading the right disc onto the shaft and sharpening away. If it takes about a minute to strop a gouge it takes about three minutes to edge and strop a gouge....nothing really. And Bang you are right back to carving with a tool that is singing its way through the wood. Three minutes compared to in my case, 30 minutes just to set up all the sharpening stuff and probably another ten to fifteen minutes per gauge to edge and strop. Frankly, you go from an impractical pain in the neck solution to a totally practical and extremely effective sharpening system that makes sharpening a part of your carving process as opposed to something you do separately, sometimes muttering under your breadth. The sharpener is totally silent and as a result not at all invasive. You don't go from peaceful interaction between you, your workpiece and your edged tool to some sort of grinding machine wailing away like a scalded dog. This tool makes for a night and day difference in you carving enjoyment and carving effectiveness. What is better than that?
                      What a great post on this item and the need to sharpen.
                      Where are you Tom? I want to purchase one!

Comment

Found one!
                        https://www.ebay.com/itm/Woodcarving...d=163374475965
                        Last edited by Spiritwolfe; 12-05-2018, 10:52 AM.

Comment

Hi Nikki, I have PM'd you, This post was started in 2014. Tom
                          If I took the time to fix all my mistakes, I wouldn,t have time to make new ones.

www.spokanecarvers.com

Comment

Yes and I just resurrected it. I got your message thanks but ordered the last one off of eBay cause it says I’ll get it before Christmas. I was SO happy he asked for one of these cause I get to use it too.
                            The reviews on this item you created are very impressive and everyone gleams about what great service you provide. Very impressive.

Thank you Tom. I’m tickled pink and can’t wait to try it

Comment

Thank you Nikki, It is on it's way, I hope you like it, and it makes it before Christmas.

Tom
                              If I took the time to fix all my mistakes, I wouldn,t have time to make new ones.

www.spokanecarvers.com

Comment

Working...
                              X