Yet Another New Puukko

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yet Another New Puukko

Same blade, different handle than before. This time I used a reindeer antler spacer, surrounded by black/red/black vulcanized spacers. The wood on either side of the antler is black ash burl. Nickel Silver trimmings. Once again, a oil rubbed finish. Tell me what you think. Curly Birch vs. Black Ash Burl? Anyway, thanks for viewing.

Jarod
    Owner
    BigCreekBlades.com

Re: Yet Another New Puukko

It's a beautiful knife, but is it useful for woodcarving?

Comment

I went back to the other thread and had a second look.
      I vote for the black ash burl.
      In both color and texture, there's a more dramatic and interesting contrast.

pallin: knives of this design are most useful for carving reindeer!
      Brian T

Comment

Originally posted by pallin View Post
        It's a beautiful knife, but is it useful for woodcarving?
        Originally posted by Robson Valley View Post
        I went back to the other thread and had a second look.
        I vote for the black ash burl.
        In both color and texture, there's a more dramatic and interesting contrast.

pallin: knives of this design are most useful for carving reindeer!
        These types of knives are optimized for woodcarving in the field. Great for carving spoons, tool handles and a variety of outdoor tools, they work perfectly for bushcraft. They are ok for carving deer but many of them have zero bevels and will chip on bone. Finnish knives of similar designs typically have small secondary bevels and are more robust for working around bones They they are not primarily designed for deboning or skinning but will work. Leukus are better suited for skinning and quartering. I've carved all kinds of bushcraft utensils using knives similar in size and grind to the one above. Maybe these are not the kinds of carvings you see on this forum but these types of carvings are common and the knife above is a classic design used for bushcraft.
        Terry

Comment

Another beauty Jarod.

Comment

Thanks guys. I was going to respond to the the carving question but you have all answered it wonderfully. It's always nice to hear the positive comments from this forum. It's part of what keeps me working.
            Thanks!

Comment

Another beautiful knife Jarod. The wood horn mix is great.

Tom
              If I took the time to fix all my mistakes, I wouldn,t have time to make new ones.

www.spokanecarvers.com

Comment

Working...
              X