blade bevel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• blade bevel

O.k. I know the blade is sharp, but I want to learn and these are pretty cheap in comparison. I would like input how with what and how to remove the bevel from the warren blade:

LW6 Carving Blade
    LW6 Carving Blade
    Sale price: $4.95 Quantity:

I want to remove the bevel on a warren blade, but not sure how to go about doing that? Any input is appreciated. Thanks. Dennis

Re: blade bevel

Joint the edge = square it off. 800 grit sandpaper should be enough. Just enough so that you see a uniform stripe of light reflected from the edge. That's what I do to repair a badly damaged edge.

If you did that, what will you use and what will be the desired bevel angle that you want?

To learn, I suggest that you're far better off to carve madly and learn to sustain the carving sharp edge. I predict that you will get your share of enough bad nicks and dings in edges to keep you happy without hardly trying!
    Brian T

Comment

You can use a stone or sandpaper to flatten a bevel; it just takes a while. I use a sander, but you have to be really careful! It flattens it faster, but it can also mess it up faster! You have to quench frequently to keep it from getting too hot and losing the temper, and the thinner the blade gets, the quicker it will heat up. It took me a few years to get the hang of it.
      'If it wasn't for caffeine, I wouldn't have any personality at all!"

http://mikepounders.weebly.com/
      https://www.facebook.com/pages/Mike-...61450667252958
      http://centralarkansaswoodcarvers.blogspot.com/

Comment

Mike: the OP wants to "remove" the bevel.
        36 grit at 10,000rpm ought to just about do it.
        Brian T

Comment

Originally posted by Robson Valley View Post
          Mike: the OP wants to "remove" the bevel.
          36 grit at 10,000rpm ought to just about do it.
          RV, are you familiar with Warren blades? I believe Mike is right. The OP wants to flatten the bevel. Murphy blades do not have a small secondary bevel. They have a large primary bevel. If you removed it you wouldn't have much blade left.
          Terry

Comment

Why do you want to remove the bevel Dennis? It is probably around 20 degrees, which should work good for basswood. If you get too thin on the bevel, you will end up with more little nicks breaking along the cutting edge. or bending over. I would maintain the bevel, and learn how to keep them sharp.

Tom
            If I took the time to fix all my mistakes, I wouldn,t have time to make new ones.

www.spokanecarvers.com

Comment

Poor joke. Sorry.
              I didn't understand the principle involved.
              Brian T

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Ellis View Post
                Why do you want to remove the bevel Dennis? It is probably around 20 degrees, which should work good for basswood. If you get too thin on the bevel, you will end up with more little nicks breaking along the cutting edge. or bending over. I would maintain the bevel, and learn how to keep them sharp.

Tom
                I agree with Tom for many of the Warren blades. Most of them already have a pretty wide thin bevel or the bevel is already close to the spine.
                Terry

Comment

I've done this once, back when I first started experimenting with wood carving knives. I just used my cheapo harbor freight belt sander and did what Mike said. Worked out fine.

Comment

R!e: blade bevel

I agree with Tom and Terry. I use Warren blades on basswood and do not find the bevel to be a problem.

I say try them as is first, then and only then attempt to modify the blades if you personally find them unsatisfactory.

There is no "one size fits all" in bevel, sharpening techniques, blade shape, etc. Find out what works for you, that's all that counts. Just my 2 cents worth!
                    Arthur

Comment

Working...
                    X