Pfeil Swiss-made caving tools.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pfeil Swiss-made caving tools.

Recently, Switzerland un-pegged their currency, the Swiss franc, from the Euro. It went up 15% in a day, and a like amount against the $U.S. So now, it takes more $U.S.'s to buy the same amount of Swiss francs, and I expect all imports from Switzerland to go up in price. I haven't seen any announcements yet from folks like Woodcraft, but it's bound to happen at some point. Mike
    Matthew

Re: Pfeil Swiss-made caving tools.

Thanks for the head's up. Swiss companies are annoyed as it just makes it harder for them in the global market place. Maybe they tighten their commercial belts and we won't see much?
    I can't see over the edge of the trench = the Canadian dollar is in the toilet, anyway.
    Brian T

Comment

Originally posted by Robson Valley View Post
      Thanks for the head's up. Swiss companies are annoyed as it just makes it harder for them in the global market place. Maybe they tighten their commercial belts and we won't see much?
      I can't see over the edge of the trench = the Canadian dollar is in the toilet, anyway.
      Canadian dollars in the toilet you say... lol.. More like in the Sewer..We bypassed the toilet quite a while back..

Comment

Good point about the Canadian dollar. It's worth about $.80 U.S. now, so the Swiss could make it a double hit for Canadians. Mike
        Matthew

Comment

Get in touch with Rick Wieb up there in Canada. He has better prices and a larger selection of pfeil tools than woodcraft. Now is a good time to buy them.

Dan

Comment

well starbucks just went up and mcdonalds increased prices so I would surely imagine bright folks like the swiss would do the same.

Comment

I've got a few American Dollars left that I would trade straight across for Canadian dollar···right away . . .JoeB
              . . .JoeB

Comment

Hope that I'm not speaking out of turn here: Wood 'n Wildcraft (aka Rick Wiebe) does a lot of other stuff in the winter, don't know who is minding the shop. But for you Americans, + $0.20/dollar is something to take advantage of.
                Brian T

Comment

Brian, I not sure were on the same page, I attached a JPG of today's (01/27/15) exchange rate. . .JoeB
                  . . .JoeB

Comment

Originally posted by JoeB View Post
                    Brian, I not sure were on the same page, I attached a JPG of today's (01/27/15) exchange rate. . .JoeB
                    If you have one US dollar, you could get CAN $1.24. The other way to read that is if you have one CAN dollar, you would get approx US $0.80 (1/1.24=0.8)

Comment

I'm such a financial wizard. That looks to me like: if you have $10 USD, you can buy $12.40 in Canada. The other way around, shows the difference between the buying and selling currency rates. Yes? I have to spend $10 to buy $8 American goods.

Update: which is exactly what I have just done. I planned to replace all 3 different styles of cupboard door hinges (broken ones included) in my kitchen. Today, buying 24 pairs of Amerock (US) hinges! I want something that works, fits and looks nice.
                      Brian T

Comment

Wow! I just re-visited the WoodCraft website and now I remember why I don't own Pfeil tools...the price! If this means they will be getting more expensive, then they are going to be at a real disadvantage, in my opinion.

By my simple math, you can own 3-4 Flexcut tools for one Pfeil tool. I have had issues with a FlexCut tool and it was easy to send it back to the factory to get an edge re-done...obviously wouldn't be that easy with a Swiss tool...

Comment

The Swiss Franc has always been the "price" leader ever since the world was formed. I remember my first visit to the home country in the 50's and right up to the present, I always found the country to be MOLTO EXPENSIVO. I brought some Pfeil back on each trip there and the relative cost from Woodcraft was a matter of a dollar or two above my costs overseas. I don't know what the current comparison would be as the Swiss Franc is still a "leader." Mebbe I have to take another trip----good idea........."Doc"
                          "Doc"

Comment

Originally posted by Robson Valley View Post
                            Hope that I'm not speaking out of turn here: Wood 'n Wildcraft (aka Rick Wiebe) does a lot of other stuff in the winter, don't know who is minding the shop. But for you Americans, + $0.20/dollar is something to take advantage of.
                            I usually go south in the winter, but still have my e mail and calls get forwarded to my cell phone, so carvers can order Pfeil tools with no problems. We have a shipper in Canada.

HOWEVER, for the first time in a lot of years, we did not go south this winter. We have been doing volunteer work here instead (for our kids).

I cannot predict how or when prices will have to increase on Pfeil tools. I can pretty much promise that they won't be going down, so if anyone is thinking of getting some tools in the future, now would be a good time.

Of course, because the Canadian dollar has gone down, prices have gone down in effect for US customers. Check it out y'all. There are deals to be had right now!

Comment

Originally posted by tbox61 View Post
                              Wow! I just re-visited the WoodCraft website and now I remember why I don't own Pfeil tools...the price! If this means they will be getting more expensive, then they are going to be at a real disadvantage, in my opinion.

By my simple math, you can own 3-4 Flexcut tools for one Pfeil tool. I have had issues with a FlexCut tool and it was easy to send it back to the factory to get an edge re-done...obviously wouldn't be that easy with a Swiss tool...
                              Actually with Pfeil, you just have to take it back to whoever you bought it from.

I have provided thousands of Pfeil tools to customers. I have only needed to fulfill the warranty maybe 5 times. Two or three of them, were situations where there wasn't actually anything wrong with the tool, but we don't quibble. I just sharpened them up and used them myself after sending the customer a new tool.

I really doubt that anyone has a better warranty than Pfeil

Comment

Working...
                              X