Reversible motor on my WorkSharp 3000

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reversible motor on my WorkSharp 3000

I bought a WS3000 a few years ago and found out quickly that it was best for sharpening carpenters wood chisels, but since it doesn't have a reverse switch on it you can't use it very well to sharpen short bladed carving knives. So, since I have a background in the electrical industry including motor rewinding, I decided to see if it could be made reversible. And, I was successful. I added a double pole double throw switch and modified it to interchange the connection of two wires and it works fine. I can use the abrasive disks to reshape or repair a damaged blade and the leather honing disk for stropping. It works very well. The only thing is... doing this ruins the warranty and and I suppose it could be said my modification could make it unsafe. I have no concerns about safety and it makes sharpening these carving knives a breeze.

Dwight Hunter.

Re: Reversible motor on my WorkSharp 3000

that is good news. all we need for a motor then is one that can be wired either way. right?
    Denny

photos at........ http://wiscoden.jimdo.com/

Comment

I also bought the WS3000 model and like you found out quickly it wasn't what I wanted since I do most of my carving with knives only. But unfortunately unlike you I know absolutely nothing about electrical equipment. I did however contact the manufacture and asked if it was possible to convert the motor to one that was reversable. They not only told me it was possible they sent me the appropriate type of switch ( at no cost) along with a diagram showing how to preform the conversion. They also said that if this conversion was carried out it would void the warranty. But alas that's as far as I went with the project. The WS3000 and the switch sit gathering dust in my workshop; but maybe, just maybe someday...............

Comment

Denny
        You don't need to buy a different motor. It just needs a reversing switch and a modification to the current wiring. Quite simple.

Comment

i would have to look in the garage and see if i still have an old one or two motor. I might have a 1/4 and 1/2 hp out there. can easily pick up a double pole double throw switch. i was thinking of a simple arbor, belt drive center of it, 2 spindles. one for stone and one for felt wheel. i wouldn't know how to wire the switch though.
          Denny

photos at........ http://wiscoden.jimdo.com/

Comment

I bought one of Tom Ellis Tom Z machine, have never locked back. are machine. I had though about the WS3000, but I was concern about the reversing and you took care of that, Might have to look into adapting some of those slotted glass plates to Tom machine, should work about the same . . .JoeB
            . . .JoeB

Comment

Soggy, can I get a copy of the wiring diagram they sent? I emailed Worksharp, They replied "Thank you for taking time to contact our office. The WS3000 was designed to sharpen common woodworking tools such as chisels, gouges and hand-plane irons. Our tool operates in one direction and reversing it is not recommended. To your point, this action will void the sharpeners warranty. It was not designed for sharpening carving knives."

Comment

Thank you for the information Soggy. Great group here and always willing to help others. Thank you!

Comment

A revearseable WS3000 is very good news! I have one because my kids chipped in on the purchase, while I was holding out for one of Tom Ellis's sharpener. I am surprised the WS works even on my 5 mm V tool. I really really thought it would be too fast and just destroy such small tools.

I'm going to call WS and see if I can get the switch and diagram!

Comment

I read these post with hope that I could find a way to include a reverse switch to my new ws3000. I called their technical support today and mentioned the gentleman that said he obtained a switch and wiring instructions from Work Sharp. They said they would never give such directions and their motor would need to be a DC motor to make this change.

Comment

Dayton makes a whole range of 12/24VDC motors spinning less than 1800rpm.
                      Could probably drive it with a battery charger. Very rough 12VDC should work.
                      Rigging one of those to reverse would be a good project to build a sharpener.

If you manage to roast the Worksharp, both you and the kids will be annoyed.

Comment

Originally posted by hunterd43 View Post
                        I bought a WS3000 a few years ago and found out quickly that it was best for sharpening carpenters wood chisels, but since it doesn't have a reverse switch on it you can't use it very well to sharpen short bladed carving knives. So, since I have a background in the electrical industry including motor rewinding, I decided to see if it could be made reversible. And, I was successful. I added a double pole double throw switch and modified it to interchange the connection of two wires and it works fine. I can use the abrasive disks to reshape or repair a damaged blade and the leather honing disk for stropping. It works very well. The only thing is... doing this ruins the warranty and and I suppose it could be said my modification could make it unsafe. I have no concerns about safety and it makes sharpening these carving knives a breeze.

Dwight Hunter.
                        I appreciate your post but since I just purchased a Worksharp 3000 I would prefer it to reverse so can you please let us know what to do?. I could care less about the warranty. That said, I did look up DPDT switches and it seems that they are really only for DC motors but my motor is an AC. Am I wrong about the DPDT switch being for DC only? Thanks in advance.

Comment

Yup, DPDT switches can be AC or DC and come in a wide range of ampere ratings. Make sure your switch has an ampere rating higher than your motor ampere rating, a minimum of 125% of your motor to account for inrush current.

Tinwood

Comment

It got my big time. but can you reverse the direction of an AC motor, that doesn't have a capacitor on it I would like to reverse the direction of the rotation on some electric motors that I have. If there is more info, I would be eager to read it.
                            . . .JoeB

Comment

I use my TomZ for most of my woodcarving tools but I also like to use this grinder from Beaumont Metal Works.

https://beaumontmetalworks.com/produ...ng-controller/

One HP and runs from 0 to plenty fast and is reversible. I use plates that are slightly beveled which lets me sharpen machete sized blades. I use spray glue and full sized sheets of sand paper. One disk I glued some leather on for stropping. These machines are pricey but they are industrial quality. I've had mine for quite a few years now and it's in great shape. Good for knife making and sharpens anything from small carving blades to swords. I made a jig for it similar to the one I posted for my TomZ some time ago for sharpening and reprofiling gouges and v tools.
                              Last edited by Nomad; 11-14-2017, 07:18 PM.
                              Terry

Comment

Working...
                              X