Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Butz detail carving knife on sale at Woodcraft

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Butz detail carving knife on sale at Woodcraft

    The Butz detail carving knife is on sale Woodcraft for $11.99. Mike
    Matthew

  • #2
    Re: Butz detail carving knife on sale at Woodcraft

    Thanks for they update. . .JoeB
    . . .JoeB

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Butz detail carving knife on sale at Woodcraft

      The first carving knife i ever bought was a Butz. Still have it. It is the only carving tool I have that I have not been able to get a satisfactory edge on. It will seem sharp, but doesn\'t carve well. Can\'t figure it out.
      Arthur

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Butz detail carving knife on sale at Woodcraft

        The butz is the knife I am able to get the sharpest of all I have...go figure the difference in my experience and Arthur C.\'s. They are great go to knives, and you sure can\'t beat that price.

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Butz detail carving knife on sale at Woodcraft

          The abuts knives I bought at Woodcraft were not sharp at all. They are not provided sharp as I have read here and saw for myself. I learned to use Tomz Knife Massager ( diamond wheel ) to sharpen and now only strop with my Ztomz. They are super sharp, I love them. Note: no secondary bevel!

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Butz detail carving knife on sale at Woodcraft

            Don\'t be offended. The really smart bladesmiths will not send you a carving sharp edge as they refuse to insult you with a factory edge that you don\'t want.
            I believe that it\'s a fair assumption that you decide what you want.
            After all, who does the carving, huh????
            Pacific Northwest bladesmiths do this. Expect it.
            Brian T

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Butz detail carving knife on sale at Woodcraft

              Originally posted by Arthur C. View Post
              The first carving knife i ever bought was a Butz. Still have it. It is the only carving tool I have that I have not been able to get a satisfactory edge on. It will seem sharp, but doesn\\\\\\\'t carve well. Can\\\\\\\'t figure it out.
              Arthur: I bought the Bütz detail knife several years ago, and it took me quite a while to get it sharp. Using my strop, I could get the rear half of the blade sharp easily, but the tip 1/2 inch just would not sharpen. I finally figured out that the problem was that the blade was flexible and thin enough that, even though I lifted the back slightly while stropping, the blade would twist the tiniest amount and lay flat on the strop, and then the leather compressed slightly and the edge kept getting rounded. I solved this by taking a thin scrap of basswood about 1.5 inches wide and 3 inches long, and just rubbing the Flexcut Gold directly on the wood, I stropped a bit with this, and using very slight lifting motion of the knife handle while continuing to press the tip into the new strop. This gave me just enough pressure on the unyielding surface and no twist on the blade and no rounding of the edge. I still use that same piece of smooth scrap basswood to strop the knife now.

              Claude
              My FaceBook Page: https://www.facebook.com/ClaudesWoodCarving/

              My Pinterest Page: https://www.pinterest.com/cfreaner/

              My ETSY Shop: https://www.etsy.com/shop/ClaudesWoodcarving

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Butz detail carving knife on sale at Woodcraft

                Good tip Claude. Thanks. I have the same problem with a knife that has a thin, flexible tip. I\'ll be sure to give it a try.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Butz detail carving knife on sale at Woodcraft

                  something for me to keep in mind alright...
                  Denny

                  photos at........ http://wiscoden.jimdo.com/

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: Butz detail carving knife on sale at Woodcraft

                    Thanks, Claude, I\'ll give it a try.
                    Arthur

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: Butz detail carving knife on sale at Woodcraft

                      Claude, I tried your suggestion and I see a marked improvement. The knife just didn\'t respond to the stropping that sharpens my other edges. Thank you!
                      Arthur

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: Butz detail carving knife on sale at Woodcraft

                        When you strop, do you hold the knife by the handle only? I usually put my index finger on the blade to keep it in contact with the strop.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: Butz detail carving knife on sale at Woodcraft

                          Originally posted by Robson Valley View Post
                          Don\\\\\\\'t be offended. The really smart bladesmiths will not send you a carving sharp edge as they refuse to insult you with a factory edge that you don\\\\\\\'t want.
                          I believe that it\\\\\\\'s a fair assumption that you decide what you want.
                          After all, who does the carving, huh????
                          Pacific Northwest bladesmiths do this. Expect it.
                          Carving gouges are the same way, I always put my own edge on them. Some need a lot of work because the bevel is at the wrong angle and some less so.

                          But I will say with gouges, there is a certain manufacturer that gets recommended a lot because their gouges come pretty sharp and many fear or don\'t know how to sharpen so they\'d rather start with a tool that will carve straight away.

                          On one hand I see the point of shipping a factory grind that\'s generic and let the carver do what they will, on the other hand some makers may benefit by catering to those desiring a sharp edge from the get go.

                          I\'ve also seen knives for sale for regular price or for an additional fee, they are sharpened \"carving sharp\".

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: Butz detail carving knife on sale at Woodcraft

                            Originally posted by fiddlesticks View Post
                            Carving gouges are the same way, I always put my own edge on them. Some need a lot of work because the bevel is at the wrong angle and some less so.

                            But I will say with gouges, there is a certain manufacturer that gets recommended a lot because their gouges come pretty sharp and many fear or don\\\\\\\'t know how to sharpen so they\\\\\\\'d rather start with a tool that will carve straight away.

                            On one hand I see the point of shipping a factory grind that\\\\\\\'s generic and let the carver do what they will, on the other hand some makers may benefit by catering to those desiring a sharp edge from the get go.

                            I\\\\\\\'ve also seen knives for sale for regular price or for an additional fee, they are sharpened \\\\\\\"carving sharp\\\\\\\".
                            On another note, how many months or years will it take to iron out this forum \"upgrade\".

                            Escape characters showing up in posts. Photos that don\'t work. No functional search and so on. There is a major book publisher behind this site, but it looks like it\'s clearly not a priority.

                            Comment

                            Working...
                            X