Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Veritas Green vs. Flexcut Gold

Hello All,

Just wondering who has used both of these compounds, and what your opinions are regarding which is better for carving. Thanks!
    \"No, sweetheart, I have no idea how those wood shavings got on the living room floor.\"

Re: Veritas Green vs. Flexcut Gold

I\'ve been using green honing compounds for years. Usually, they are a mix of Chromium Oxide and Aluminum Oxide. CrOx is naturally green, AlOx is white. Have never found a need to look for a replacement.

I\'ll suppose that Flexcut Gold is AlOx, laced with some dye coloring agent as a brand marker.

At the end of the day, the choice is yours.
    Brian T

Comment

I have both. I do not think there is much difference.

Comment

I have both also - both work.

Claude
        My FaceBook Page: https://www.facebook.com/ClaudesWoodCarving/

My Pinterest Page: https://www.pinterest.com/cfreaner/

My ETSY Shop: https://www.etsy.com/shop/ClaudesWoodcarving

Comment

I\'ve heard good things about the Veritas Green, but never tried it. Flexcut is good. Bought some Zam after that ran out. Zam works well. But I don\'t prefer any of these if using leather.

These days I use the Tormek PA-70, it doesn\'t gunk up the strop like the hard crayon type abrasives which are really made for high speed buffing wheels which melt it to the wheel and later shed it. Strops don\'t melt it so it\'s tough to apply and it builds up. (another thread I noticed mentioned cereal box strops - those actually work really well with the hard crayon type)

I\'ve also used strops in which I\'ve soaked the back with neatsfoot oil until enough oil is though to the rough side to get silicon carbide powder to stick to. This works well, but is messy until you get the right amount of oil. You could use aluminum oxide as well.

I think I\'ve heard the gold color in Flexcut is from Cerium Oxide.

Comment

I\'ve got and used both and they seem to work equally well. I have heard about John Dunkle\'s Blue Velvet honing compound and thought I might give that a try. Anybody out there used it and is it worth my while to try it out? Sorry, not trying to hijack your post Trout Hound.

Tinwood

Comment

I agree with fiddlesticks, the Tormek Pa70 works really well, without the build up on your strop. I think the green is the worst for building up.......Tom
              If I took the time to fix all my mistakes, I wouldn,t have time to make new ones.

www.spokanecarvers.com

Comment

Here\'s the method for cleaning a hard leather strop.
                Buy a 6\" mill file. That\'s a common shape that you can find in any hardware store.
                Notice that the edges are also grooved, to meet the grooved faces.
                Use one of these corners as a rake and _gently_ rake the crud off the face of the strop. Recharge the strop as usual. Done in a minute.
                Brian T

Comment

I am with RV- cheap green crayon from Harbor Freight, clean with the back of a personna blade or other scraper blade. Knives cut easily and leave a polished surface. never looked for anything else.
                  Buffalo Bif
                  bflobif.com

Comment

These are all great suggestions, thanks for the posts. . . .JoeB
                    . . .JoeB

Comment

You can also sand the surface of the strop with 220x paper. Doesn\'t take off much leather, but will get off all the old compound, and leaves a really nice knap that accepts new compound much more evenly. I\'ve gotten where I\'ll even sand brand new plain leather on strops I make, because I seem to get better results, even if I\'m not using compound.
                      \"No, sweetheart, I have no idea how those wood shavings got on the living room floor.\"

Comment

I also understand that both the Flexcut and the Veritas contain a range of abrasive sizes, where standard green buffing compound is a uniform 0.5 micron. On a strop, the range of particle sizes is supposed to give better results on carving tools. That\'s what I hear, anyway.

Thanks everyone for the good info. Please keep it coming if you have anything useful to add.

Comment

Not quite. They(?) claim that the \"nominal\" particle size is 0.5 micrometers ( microns, for the unwashed) for things like CrOx. That means only that there are bigger and smaller particles in the mix. How much bigger? How much smaller? I don\'t know if we pay for what we get.

AlOx, as sold, seems to be inherently smaller, maybe nominal particle size of 0.3 microns or so.

Whoopee - freaking do! 10-20% difference. Not like one is 10X the other.
                          = = =
                          I have an old pro model Akai 8 track reel to reel tape deck with motor drives. Like that sucker is 1/2\" wide. Glass heads. Ferromagnetic properties only show up with 50nm particles. I still have an insane urge to strop a tool on fast forward.
                          Brian T

Comment

Trout Hound, you are far, far bolder than me. Sandpapers wear out. I\'m always worried about hitting a sand grain and doing serious damage to an expensive edge. Once bitten, twice shy.

I planned to carve for much of today. Nope. I hit something last evening with a very hard steel edge (Hall farrier\'s hook knife) that now leaves 3 scratch marks with every cut. The hardest steel I have so it\'s going to be a chore to fix. It\'s the right tool for the carving so I must attend to that.
                            Brian T

Comment

Originally posted by Robson Valley View Post
                              Trout Hound, you are far, far bolder than me. Sandpapers wear out. I\\\'m always worried about hitting a sand grain and doing serious damage to an expensive edge. Once bitten, twice shy.

I planned to carve for much of today. Nope. I hit something last evening with a very hard steel edge (Hall farrier\\\'s hook knife) that now leaves 3 scratch marks with every cut. The hardest steel I have so it\\\'s going to be a chore to fix. It\\\'s the right tool for the carving so I must attend to that.
                              To tell the truth, I\'ve never even thought about that. I\'ve always just used fresh paper and done a careful check before I apply any compound. I would think you could feel a piece of 220 grit embedded in the leather. I can definitely see how it could wreck a blade though!

Comment

Working...
                              X