Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Sharpening - need suggestions

Hello Mitchell!

Thank you for the link...I will check it out!

Thanks again!

The Major.

Comment

Hi Major,
      Just a quick addition to what I said in an earlier post about motor speed. I checked the motor on my little sharpening armature and it turns at 1723 rpms. you wouldn't want it to turn any faster. Speed equals heat and you don't want that.

Comment

Several have mentioned Rick at Little Shavers as a good source to have tools sharpened. A few weeks ago I received a new pocket knife for carving. Well even after it was professionally "sharpened" I could not carve with it. Maybe I could keep pencils sharp, but thats all. On the advice of several members of this board I sent it to Rick at Little Shavers. I told him to make it work. I received it back in the mail today. And since I was on my way to the hospital for a C Scan I took it with me, along with a 3/4 x 3/4 x 10 inch pine stick. I had an hour wait and made quite a mess. But the knife that might have been a screw driver was SUPER. New shape, sharpened and honed to perfection.these two little fellows are the result. My advice - unless you're experienced and good at reshaping a blade and sharpening one send it to Rick.
        http://beginnerscarvingcorner.blogspot.com/

Comment

Those are some nice little carvings Tom.

Comment

Yep, What Rick said, Nice ones, like them both.
            And What you said about Rick. Got some tools from him in August of 2006 and the stilll be fine carvers.

Need to talk to Theresa again!

Comment

really good carvings! hard to get good ones that small lol
              "Lif iz lik a box "o" choc lets, ya nevr kno whut yull git!"

Comment

Yup, Rick's the sharpening guy. I can sharpen gouges, knives and chisels but v-tools are still beyond me which is ironic since Ev Ellenwood says they're just two chisels and a gouge. I'm boxing my 3 up and sending them to Rick on Monday.

I've got to buy a couple more from him while I'm at it so that I don't have to ship them all out at the same time. I bought a murphy knife from him and had him sharpen my Double Cross and they're both still going strong.

mikeg
                Mike B

Comment

Ev Ellenwood says they're just two chisels and a gouge.
                  Think more along the lines of two skew chisels and a gouge. i.e. don't push straight into the stone, but at a skewed angle. Try it with a piece of angle iron or angle wood molding for practice.

Comment

I make woodcarving tools and my choice for polishing compound is red rouge that I get at Sears $2.19, it is also what I use to strop my tools, it works VERY well and the price is right...

Comment

Working...
                    X