R these real good chisels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• R these real good chisels

I was just looking at these chisels on Ebay and thinking about bidding.?? Need opinions.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/SUPERB-10-PIECE-...QQcmdZViewItem

Re: R these real good chisels

The seller has great reviews and it doesn't appear that he sells junk.. My kids bought me a few closeout Henry Taylor's from Woodcraft for Christmas. They said they needed honed but I didn't think so, so I stropped them today and started a relief carving. I like them. The original price for that set is 250. The current bid is 170 and it looks like your basically going against one bidder. It's well under the retail price. Give it a shot. Good Luck!

Comment

Thanks, I tried to find the original price. the closest I could come was Lee Valley, and the Henry Taylor chisels were priced at 55 - 66 $ ea.

Comment

Really interesting display stand! I think I'll make one.
        I've heard HT's need sharpening after purchasing them. Lots of Folks on here own them and love them.
        The $55 to $66 sounds high. Most Ashley Iles, which I use, range from $28 to $54. Usually there's a fair cost break buying any brand in a set too. It just dawned on me, you're talking Canadian dollars, aren't you?
        Wade

Comment

I've heard good things about H T tools... but I think I would rather spend $170 - $250 on specific tools I would use. (JMO)

That set looks like it has a mortis clean out tool in it but I'm not sure exactly.

I did notice Woodcraft has a H T, six tool set for $129.99 with 1/4 #1, 3, 6 & 5/16 #5, 8 & 1/4 V-tool however I don't see where they sell single H T tools.

Just a thought

Comment

I just checked Woodcraft's website and their HT's start at around $20 but I saw one on sale at $9.99. They have them individually if you search under gouge on their site.

Comment

Thats great, I did look around at different sites, and could not find HT chisels. Think I will pass, and take Tonys advice and buy specific tools that I would use. Might take a look in Ricks catalogue. Appreciate your thought and effort. I'll say it again, this forum has good people. Thanks

Comment

I have never used them....but have Stubai and Ashley Iles.......stubai's are great tools..but have to say the Ashley Iles are my favorite! been looking at a 9 piece set of long handle flexcut, they are 149.00 .....I really like flexcut as well.
                "Lif iz lik a box "o" choc lets, ya nevr kno whut yull git!"

Comment

Hi Hugh, I have to agree with Silver Dust. If you are going to spend nearly $200. on gouges and chisles, get the specific tools you need. When you buy sets, you always wind up with one or two things you will never use. Those spoon bent tools are probably a good example of that. Highly specialized for jobs you may never do. I didn't see a Vee gouge listed. Everyone needs a good v tool. Gouges with a wide sweep like a #5 and then some deep U gouges like a 9, 10 or 11. A chisle or two in different widths. Everyone is different but I never had much use for the skew chisles. I can see where they would be handy for getting into corners but so is a good knife.

As for the brand, Henry Taylor is a good tool. I have three that I like. One that I don't. Their small v tool was problematic for me, the bottem of the v kept breaking a notch out. Then I would have to re shape it, resharpen it and then it would do the same thing again..... So I wrote H.T. about it. The sent me a brand new one and I was thrilled.....till that tool did exactly the same thing. I have never had a problem with my other v tools. I have another brand v tool the same size as well as a large H.T. v tool. No problems with those. And my all time favorite v tool is a cheap little warren tool that probably would cost under $20 and part of that would be the handle that could be used with other tools. It has a chuck built into it and you just insert the tool you like and tighten it up and go. Those little warren gouges are highly under rated. I wish they made them in larger sizes. They are just a bit on the small side.

In my experience, any new tool needs sharpened when you buy it. Very few come ready to use..

Not to change the subject but did you ever contact Foredom about your micro motor problems? What did they say?
                  susieq

Comment

Thanks everyone for the information. SusieQ, I did contact foredom, and they were very obliging. I'm to send the tool to them after the new year, and they will correct the problems. I'm waiting for my carving student to bring her handpiece to me, so it will go with mine for repair. I should have done that first instead of bothering the dealer. A dealer is really in a tight spot for such things. Thanks again, and Happy New Year.

Comment

I purchased a few HT tools last year and ended up sending the V tool back as I experienced the same problem as susieq. I did keep the fishtail as its got a different bevel that I don't get with my other fishtails from pfiel. I don't like to bash other tool makers as each has its qualities that carvers may like so I'm just sharing my experience with you. As you said in your last thread - go with the tools you'll need as each individual purchase is always enjoyable...like a new toy. Good luck.
                      Patrick

Comment

Hey Patrick, thanks for the reply, I've a great respect for your work, and appreciate your opinion. I'm trying to learn chisel and knife carving, without taking too much time from my power carving, which pays the bills. I like the feel of the sharp chisels and knives, and am looking at the time I wont be able to do the power carving. I'm looking at the Ashely IIels chisels right now. Thanks again.

Comment

Working...
                        X