500 results in 0.3755 seconds.
Keywords
Members
Tags
  •  

• chuckt
    replied to Folk art or fine art
    Re: Folk art or fine art

Ahh - the debate rages on. This is another one that will never end.

These concepts depend on the use of words to describe convey them. Words are often nebulous and imprecise - even if everyone has the patience (which we usually don't) to stick to...
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• Re: Lord of the Rings, Tolkien Walking Stick

NICE!!! I LIKE it and now you've made me want to go by a woodburner. GREAT execution! There are SO many things you could do. You could add the Tree of Gondor - I use that as my iPhone background. I LOVE the "not all who wander are lost"...
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• Re: David Esterly's memoir - The Lost Carving

What David said!!! Thanks for the link to his blog. I just got his Gibbons book from the library and there is a LOT there to chew on with spectacular photos.

Esterly was headed for a strong academic career (he was a Cambridge...
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• Re: David Esterly's memoir - The Lost Carving

Larry - I am not really a Kindle person - still prefer the old school book in hand. BUT - that said, there is not a lot of illustration and it's not a how to type of book, so to save the $ and get started on it sooner you'd probably be fine...
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• David Esterly's memoir - The Lost Carving

Hey gang! Just thought I'd pop a quick note up here to alert folks who are interested in the more formal decorative arts style of carving that David Esterly has a new memoir out about the year he spent in Hampton Court Palace in London - doing a replica of a lost Grinling Gibbons drop that was destroyed...
    See more | Go to post

• chuckt
    replied to Does "hand carved" imply hand tools?
    Re: Does "hand carved" imply hand tools?

Actually - one of my first (if not my first) on this thread essentially did take that same position.

Then I went more towards the "precision in language" approach whereby to my mind the most "ethical"...
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• chuckt
    replied to Does "hand carved" imply hand tools?
    Re: Does "hand carved" imply hand tools?

Wow! I am shocked that years later this thread is STILL getting posts. My views have evolved on this. I now firmly in the camp that says if the tool is guided by hand whether power or not - it's "hand carved".
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• Re: is vee tool Pfeil's weak link?

Thanks Rick - that's a very good point. My concern had more to do with my lack of skills at the grinder and fear of ruining a nice gouge. But what you say makes sense. I agree it would be interesting to see what Brienz carvers think of Chris Pye's thoughts...
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• Re: is vee tool Pfeil's weak link?

Jumping in late here. I have Pfeil tools and Chris Pye has a specific reason for his dislike of their V tool. It has to do with the shape of the keel being conical where the two sides meet on the underside, rather than a sharper edge where they come...
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• chuckt
    replied to Cottage Among the Branches
    Re: Cottage Among the Branches

Beautiful design. Love the trees & leaves concept. Don't think I've ever seen anyone do that for a bark house before. Very unique. May have to steal that idea. ;-)
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• chuckt
    replied to NON 'how to' movies & books?
    Re: NON 'how to' movies & books?

Don - that sounds very interesting. Do you know if was recent (last 10 years) or older? No idea at all of the title? Or who was in it?
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• chuckt

Thanks Sharon! I appreciate the kind thoughts and hope you and your family have a wonderful Thanksgiving too.

Cheers!
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• chuckt

LOL - not quite what I had in mind, but clever! :-)
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• chuckt
    started a topic NON 'how to' movies & books?

NON 'how to' movies & books?

Hey there folks. Been away for a long time due to work & lack of time. Haven't touched the gouges & knives for far too long. Was planning to carve gifts for Christmas this year but broke my wrist. In cast for next 6 weeks.
    <sigh>

Anyway - I am always on the lookout...
    See more | Go to post

• chuckt
    started a topic George Reinfried - NEWR Organizer

George Reinfried - NEWR Organizer

I've not posted here in quite a long time due to work being very busy and having set aside carving for the better part of the last year, however, I found out this morning the George Reinfried passed away. George with his wife Ann was the driving force for the annual Northeast Woodcarvers Roundup in...
    See more | Go to post
Working...
X