No announcement yet.

Search Result

Collapse
500 results in 1.3400 seconds.
Keywords
Members
Tags
  •  

• I have the Icube and love it, but have never had a different micro-motor so I have nothing to compare too. I use it for detailing only, so not sure how important "power" is in a micro-motor. I carve birds, and occasionally find it a bit of a hassle to get in some areas with the hand-piece...
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• Keeping mind you want to avoid sharp bends in your shaft, I don't see how that can be accomplished with the bench top unit unless the unit is behind you to keep the shaft straight. Maybe there is some geometry I am not seeing, but unless your workbench is way longer than mine so it can be at right...
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• SlowMover
    replied to Scratches on glass eye
    I don't put the eyes in other than a dry fit for hole size and position untill all the carving is done. I texture the area around the eye in the quickwood I use to hod them i place so as to .damage during texturing with a burr or with burning
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• SlowMover
    replied to Hand pain?
    This is a copy of a post I made a couple of years ago to a member with the same trouble. Hope it helps a bit.
    This is a condition commonly known as golfer's elbow. The pain is on the inside of the elbow, and is caused (usually)from gripping items with the wrist bent towards the little finger while...
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• I never sharpen with power anymore. As fast as you can sharpen a knife with power is exactly how fast you can really damage the edge as well if you make a mistake with your angle. It doesn't take much time to tune up and strop a blade to keep it sharp. I have a stick with 1200 grit emery paper on...
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• SlowMover
    replied to Blowing off some steam!
    I have used both MDI and Stadtlander many times, in fact I have ordered from both within the last two months. MDI has always shipped my items and I have received them in a average of 2-3 days every time (have ordered from them at least 6 times in the past 4 years). I can't explain your difficulty,...
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• SlowMover
    replied to Turned birds head
    The key to making a good joint is to have both sides perfectly flat before gluing. Use a disc sander larger than the area to be sanded and get them as flat as you can, then dowel and clamp the two sides of the joint. For a birds head that is irregular in shape, you need to use something like strips...
    See more | Go to post
    Last edited by SlowMover; 05-26-2019, 07:33 AM. Reason: spelling

Leave a comment:

• SlowMover
    replied to Amarillo Texas carving show
    Glad you like the show. I was so busy, I forgot to take pictures this year.......what was I thinking?...
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• I have used it for over three years, estimate 50+ carvings roughed out. They teeth are definitely worn down about 50%, I compared this one (coarse) to the fine one of the same configuration (safe end cylinder) that I also use. It is clean as a hounds tooth, I do maintain my tools. I just wanted to...
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• SlowMover
    started a topic Saburrtooth Burrn performance has dropped

Saburrtooth Burrn performance has dropped

A question for the group. I use a Saburtooth burr for roughing out my birds (basswood), and have used it for a bit over three years. It doesn't seem to perform as well as in the past, and when I look at the teeth they appear a bit worn down. I assume this is the cause of the decline in performance,...
    See more | Go to post

• The leather thumb protectors you buy for a couple of dollars online (or at shows) are pretty ineffective at stopping a cut from a carving sharp knife from going through the leather (after all it is cutting wood) and into you. Re-enforce the protector with several layers of carving tape(not vet tape,...
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• SlowMover
    replied to Scarlet Tanager
    Great first bird. They are addictive. Keep doing the occasional bird and you will learn to love them.
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• SlowMover
    replied to Detail Knife
    In my opinion the brand matters little, they are all of quality steel and well made. I think the most important two things are the configuration of the blade (shape, size, and angle of the bevel) and handle fit. Size depends on the dimension of your anticipated carving, shape is personal preference,...
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• I expect blemish free when ordering online, but will buy pieces with blemishes at a reduced price upon inspection if they are suitable to my style. You will have to offer sites from 1x1 up to at least 4x4 to compete with other online vendors and to meet the needs of most carvers. I would go with 12,18...
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• I would say they are pretty much the same from what my friends that have others say. I have a colewood I like. If you do a lot of fish and want to burn scales, razertip has more scale pens available, also more feather former's. the accessories are the only real difference I can see.
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

Working...
X