Search Result

Collapse
286 results in 0.1849 seconds.
Keywords
Members
Tags
  •  

• Re: Sawcliffe Green man

I have been an artist all my life, pencil, oils, color pencil, tattooing. Wood is my favorite medium to date. The talent is the gift of God.
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• Re: Boy's carving kit

Thanks everyone! I will be looking for small gloves once I measure their hands, for now it's finger wrap and easy, careful lessons on proper technique. I have cut 14 pieces of wood in different sizes, basswood, butternut, and paulownia. Also picked up a beginners...
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• Boy's carving kit

This is a little side project for the two boys (7-9) of the clients I am doing the dining table for. It seems they are forever swiping their mom's paring and small steak knives to carve found wood from the forest in their back yard. So with the parents permission I put together this kit over the past...
    See more | Go to post

Safe and sound! A piece of me is now in the UK. Robert Elwes of The Sawcliffe Project posted these pics on Facebook this morning, and gave a happy review. He also asked me to do a much bigger piece, but as I am currently working on two projects now I had to decline...
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• Managing attachments

For some reason, when i click on the manage attachments bar, nothing happens, can't upload images.....help?
    See more | Go to post

• myly4Him
    replied to Exploring woods
    Re: Exploring woods

Should be a challenge, have to keep the tools extra sharp and use a heavier mallet!
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• The Pickering project

Onto a new commission. This goes way beyond my normal field, but I could not resist the challenge. While this is more design and construction orientated rather than a 'woodcarving', there will be a lot of carving involved in the fit and finish of the project. I am making a dining table to seat 6 to...
    See more | Go to post

• myly4Him

I agree Palin, forestry must be tightly controlled and regulated by each country, and provision made for sustainable and deadfall harvest of many species that are endangered, as well as farming of desired trees. As for labeling, shortly after this post all these were...
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• myly4Him

Thanks for the replies my friends, I am finding a passion for collecting wood, there are some great uses for even small pieces, insets, inlays on tool boxes, small carvings, etc. I have recently begun to work with a young but knowledgeable wood cutter, learning how...
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

Follow up on the Sawcliffe Green man. I attended the Greenville, S.C. woodcarvers show on Oct. 25-26, and entered three pieces. I was both surprised and blessed with great results! Having carved less than 2 years, I entered in the novice division. In the relief...
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• myly4Him
    started a topic Exploring woods

Exploring woods

I am ever on the quest to find and experience new to me carving wood. I have recently come across some neat species I am unfamiliar with. If anyone has experience with these woods, any pointers or comments would be welcome!

I hope the photo order comes out right on this!

1)...
    See more | Go to post

• Re: Knife handles

I understand! neat idea. The Gorilla glue sticks to metal, I prepare the metal surface by roughing it up with some 40 grit and a random orbital sander. Be cautious on how much glue you use, it literally expands 3 to 4 times, I might use two drops spread out on one side...
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

LOL! it does make somewhat of a flat ping.......I am not familiar with a loveless bolt, what do they look like?

No.1,2, and 3 done. The other 4 are maple burl like the first, and are now in various stages of reconstruction.......
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

Hi Joe, Yep, I do peen one end first before it goes into the handle, then peen the other side carefully to match. I use a small pin punch to round the pin over to the surface of the handle. I am now using Gorilla glue, Original, to glue the scales to the tangs, then...
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

(See previous post) Part 2 of 2. Problems with #4 and#5. As with the first burl handle, I wrapped these with a damp sock overnight with some elastic bands. Morning revealed misery. The pins had rusted and stained the burl, the epoxy where the front of the burl met the...
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

Working...
X