Collapse
133 results in 0.0217 seconds.
Keywords
Members
Tags
  •  

• Squid-61
    replied to Greetings from New Mexico
    Welcome Distaff. I also carved and turned my own spinning and weaving tools, it's a great way to merge hobbies. I used to make trips to Mora just to purchase wool and then over the hill to Taos to visit the craft guild displays and sales.
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• I'll stay away from methodology since I use a Norton India stone, Spyderco ceramic fine stone and leather strop with powder compound, clearly out of fashion. I do want to caution you about OCC knives, I think you said you have one coming. The grind on mine was not flat, it was convex, took me about...
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• Squid-61
    replied to To all of you on the forum!
    Merry Christmas

Buon Natale

Wesolych Swiat Bozego Narodzenia...
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• Squid-61
    replied to Helvie Knives
    Some very good tips here especially since you haven't yet developed bad habits. I started sharpening about six decades ago and still follow my originally learned technique; sharpen at the table or bench relying on arm muscle memory, use bench stones with oil and a leather strop. While it works well...
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• Every time I read reviews on craft tools, pocket knives, whatever, I wonder if everyone is talking about the same tool!

I took my BeaverCraft spoon knife out of the package, spent all of about 5 minutes on a strop and in less than an hour had a very nice basswood coffee scoop to replace...
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• I like the BeaverCraft blade steel and out of the box sharpness on their gouges and hook knife, don't have one of their straight knives. The two things I don't like are their hook knife handle shape which for me has terrible grip comfort (I assume the same would be true of the straight knife) and the...
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• I have some Double Boiled Linseed Oil that I applied to a small carving a couple of months ago. Yesterday I decided I didn't like an aspect of the carving so I got out the knife and modified it. I discovered as I started to cut the wood had gone from fairly firm cheap Basswood to a consistency near...
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• Squid-61
    replied to Thumb Pain
    All, well mostly, good advice but if the pain is in your non-dominant hand try switching your grip on the workpiece, even inverting the work occasionally. It could be you are cramping up and straining the muscles around your thumb.
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• Squid-61
    replied to Helvie Knives
    Ben's have more hook at the blade end:
    https://benandloisorford.com/store/#...egory=11166063

It's the hooked blade that caught my attention when I saw it.
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• Squid-61
    replied to Helvie Knives
    Brian T, it sounds like working the steel cold produces a decent blade. I was concerned that I would have to get into some form of heat treatment which introduces a higher level of danger and complication for a garage project. I first saw a Mocotaugan knife manufacture process on a YouTube video...
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• Squid-61
    replied to Helvie Knives
    I see highly talented whittlers and fine craft woodcarvers here, on another woodcarving forum and on YouTube and they use everything from cut down fish knives and utility knives to custom knives costing hundreds. I really don't think the knife makes that much difference if the talent is there. My...
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• Many years back I was studying the art of Navajo blanket and rug weaving and was told all blankets must contain a flaw. Only God can create perfection so man's creations must be flawed.
    See more | Go to post
    Last edited by Squid-61; 12-09-2020, 10:51 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Squid-61
    replied to Bad news...sorry.
    I just looked at our county COVID information dashboard and it shows the observed mask wearing obedience has been at or above 98% since July, the COVID infection rate has been all over the map but reasonably low until about a month and a half ago when testing became more available around the community....
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• Squid-61
    replied to Arthritis and Woodcarving
    That's far more information than I ever intended, I think I will just log off for a while and let this thread die and hopefully get buried.
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• Squid-61
    replied to Arthritis and Woodcarving
    While I probably wouldn't roll over and die without woodworking and leather crafting the quality of my life would degrade significantly. I will not succumb to a little pain or immobility and stare at game shows on the boob tube all day. You can't compare giving up rock climbing to sitting at a table...
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

Working...
X