No announcement yet.

Search Result

Collapse
50 results in 0.0078 seconds.
Keywords
Members
Tags
  •  

• Wondering the same - That is an impressive piece of gear!...
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• Thanks all! It’s been a fun learning process

Made up a sheath for one of the blades out of some scrap leather and a couple wooden beads. Had to get the leather wet to make it form the way I wanted but it seems pretty good now...
    See more | Go to post
    Last edited by JasonIdz; 04-20-2022, 10:26 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Thanks guys

I carved a strawberry for my 3 year old daughter last night almost exclusively with the Kraken blade (used a gouge for the seed indentations). Worked beautifully. That one specifically was used with a CPM M4 steel...
    See more | Go to post
    Last edited by JasonIdz; 04-19-2022, 11:52 AM. Reason: Edit is because I noticed there is purple nail polish on my thumb. I am a father of 3 young daughters and had to get some colour layering just right before any paint touched their nails haha

Leave a comment:

• Homemade knives

I got lucky and was able to acquire a handful of nice tool steel pieces - 0.035 and 0.060” thickness. I used maple for the handles and started experimenting. The last few weeks making knives have been a blast

There is also a Haida blade in the mix that I made the handle for only...
    See more | Go to post
    Last edited by JasonIdz; 04-19-2022, 11:23 AM.

• Not a problem, its very useful for the tiny work - and thank you for the kind words...
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• Thanks Claude for identifying the press vise! It is a WEN 3" drill press vise off amazon for around $20. On top of that is a magnifier that lets me accurately trim the scales of the fish. I would ideally like to get one of the desk mount ones with an integrated light but there is only so much cash...
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 5 photos.
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• Some progress from last night - adding scales and slicing up my finger... paint this afternoon!
    This gallery has 3 photos.
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• Joe, this hooked blade is sharp only on the inside of the hook and slightly on the outside of the point. I used 0.060" thick Vanadis 10 tool steel for the blade, torrefied maple for the handle, and a 1/8" brass pin. There is a sandblasting finish that I did not remove because I liked the ...
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• Thanks for all the kind words everyone! I once again have to thank one of my daughters for the idea. Really enjoyed reading the comments here

For the scales, I prepped the wood by sanding it smooth and then pressed a small gouge into it. Made sure to follow a nice pattern. Once that...
    This gallery has 8 photos.
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• Little fish from a scrap of basswood

Salvaged a small offcut from a recent project into this little guy. Here are a couple steps from the rough shape through to applying the oil. A small hole was drilled in his mouth and I friction fit a rare earth magnet inside. In case you were wondering how he is sticking to assorted metal objects ...
    This gallery has 8 photos.
    See more | Go to post
    Last edited by JasonIdz; 03-22-2022, 11:35 PM.

• JasonIdz
    replied to Second relief carving
    Thanks guys

Giving plenty of time to cure between coats of tung oil now
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• JasonIdz
    Finally finished the third piece in this series and oiled it last night

I don't think I will be painting these three but will definitely be making more Canadian native west coast style carvings in the near future. Thank you all for all the helpful hints, messages, and book recommendations....
    This gallery has 3 photos.
    See more | Go to post
    Last edited by JasonIdz; 02-24-2022, 05:24 AM.

Leave a comment:

• JasonIdz
    Thanks Joe! I am still undecided on the paint.. I love woodgrain so I would almost hate to cover it but on the other hand, painting it would be following the proper art style... Cleaning up all the sloppy cuts is taking much longer than I was planning on but will be sure to post a pic once its oile...
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• JasonIdz
    Thanks again everyone for all the positive feedback...
    This gallery has 1 photos.
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• JasonIdz
    Thanks for all the tips, guys! I am not sure about paint yet... oil is still a little wet so have another week or so to decide

Finally had a chance to start the third Haida style carving last night. Was up way too late carving but don't regret it. Hoping to make some solid progress...
    This gallery has 2 photos.
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

Working...
X