79 results in 0.1030 seconds.
Keywords
Members
Tags
  •  

• stave
    replied to Tawny Owl
    Re: Tawny Owl

Most of my paint work is a combination of mediums. Usually the animals are base coated with an acrylic with the rest being done in artist oils. In the case of the owl my normal method would be to paint it entirely white with an acrylic. I would then use artist oils mixed...
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• stave
    replied to harvest rabbit
    Re: harvest rabbit

Thanks for the support. The painting was alot of fun and definitely different from my usual methods.

Thanks
    Mark
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• stave
    replied to Tawny Owl
    Re: Tawny Owl

Thanks for the kind comments. One member suggested darkening part of the background, took his advice and it did improve the piece considerably, thanks for the suggestion.

Mark
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• stave
    started a topic Tawny Owl

Tawny Owl

Just finished this one today. The owl was carved from 4/4 basswood and measures 29" x 11 1/2". The branch was painted with watercolors with the lichens being sculpted with modeling paste. The owl is painted with acrylics which was a real challenge. I usually use oils but decided to try...
    See more | Go to post

• stave
    started a topic harvest rabbit

harvest rabbit

This is a carving inspired by a painting done by one of the senior adm. on this forum. I saw that painting and just knew I had to do something along those lines. I cannot remember her name but I hope she approves if she sees this.

The rabbit was carved from 4/4 basswood and the corn and...
    See more | Go to post

• stave
    replied to Is It Ethical?
    Re: Is It Ethical?

I have been a carver for over 30 years having done shows and competitions since day one. When I have run into this problem it has always been the quality of the show meaning essentially how high the bar is placed to gain entry, price to participate, quality of the judges,...
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• stave
    started a topic animal tree

animal tree

This is a recently finished piece carved in white pine. The stump was about 8' tall and about 24'" across. It started out as a high relief but with the client's input evolved into this. The vast majority was done with chainsaws with grinders to smooth and refine shapes and then some handwork...
    See more | Go to post

• Re: Torso Work in Progress

Beautiful work and you can tell you did your homework. The old mahogany should work great, the grain should be tighter and the quality better than what you find these days. One thing that might be different is the type of mahogany, it could be Honduran, Cuban,...
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• Re: my summer project- finally done

That is a nice project all the way around! The construction is beautiful on its own and the carving just pushes it over the edge.

Stave
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• stave
    started a topic Cottontail rsabbit

Cottontail rsabbit

This is a new project just completed. The carving is done from basswood. The painting is a combination of acrylics and oil paint glazes. I tried to keep it simple and all earth tones. I really do have a great time carving rabbits. When I first started carving them folks thought I was crazy....I...
    See more | Go to post

• Re: Japanese Blossom Tree, Coffee Table

Great carving and a beautiful finish. Just a wonderful overall job. Hope you sell it for a good return.

Stave
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• stave
    started a topic odyssey project 2

odyssey project 2

This is the second of two carvings done at the Odyssey school in Asheville, NC. I had posted the other one in the new work topic area. The students designed the piece, made clay models and then they were voted on by the school to decide the winning design.

This tree was a tough one....
    See more | Go to post

• Re: New Cherry Blossom Netsuke

the color really makes it pop!

stave
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• Re: Odyssey project

Must admit the students were tough to deal with until the actual carving started. I think once they saw things taking shape their enthusiasm took hold. Once they started carving there were a couple that did not want to stop.

I do hope they got something...
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• stave
    started a topic Odyssey project

Odyssey project

I haven't posted in awhile as this project has taken almost three months to complete both stumps.

This was a project at a local alternative school. The school had cut down 2 hickory trees and left the stumps at 9’ tall. I made a proposal to incorporate the carving of the two trees into...
    See more | Go to post
Working...
X