Search Result

Collapse
500 results in 0.2965 seconds.
Keywords
Members
Tags
  •  

• Re: Axe Hewn Basswood or Linden/Lime

Yeah, my first thought was to hew it myself but Linden doesn't grow around here and the basswood is pretty small. I am also very poor in axe skills.
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• kitaye
    started a topic Axe Hewn Basswood or Linden/Lime

Axe Hewn Basswood or Linden/Lime

Does anyone know where I can purchase axe hewn linden/ lime or even basswood?

I am working on a project and to be completely period(Early Norse Round Shield) the wood needs to be axe hewn not sawed and really should be European Linden if at all possible. I could use basswood since it...
    See more | Go to post

• Re: Allergic Reaction to Polyurethane

God I hope not. I'll just live with the rash if it is the cats. The dogs I could live without but not the purrboxes....
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

One of the reasons I thought is was my hair was where it is currently manifesting. A semi-circle of rash on my chest right at where my hair touches me just inside the neckline of my shirt. But it does seem to flair up when I use my wood finishes,...
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

Thanks for the ideas on water based stuff. I've only ever tried water based stain before and I didn't like it. I'll look at Lee Valley to see what they have that is water based.

Eddy, I really hope it isn't my own hair that is the problem....
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• kitaye
    started a topic Allergic Reaction to Polyurethane

Allergic Reaction to Polyurethane

I've been suffering from skin rash for the last several months on and off. I've narrowed it down to either the fumes from polyurethane or my own hair. Has anyone else ever developed an allergy to the fumes from polyurethane?

I have also developed an allergy to any pine based such as epoxy...
    See more | Go to post

• kitaye
    replied to My Shop Mate is gone
    Re: My Shop Mate is gone

I'm sorry to hear about your buddy. Hopefully he will send another companion to judge your work when the time is right.
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• kitaye
    replied to Whats On Your Carving Bench?
    Re: Whats On Your Carving Bench?

Actually my carving bench has been empty for several months now. I went through a dry spell where I didn't want to carve. Recently I've been wanting to carve a llama but work and other projects have so far gotten in the way.
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• kitaye
    replied to Casting or Carved
    Re: Casting or Carved

I expect it is a matter of money. A carver can sell the original for $X or he can sell a cast of the original for $Y times the number of castings he makes. HE makes more money and gets to keep the original for his or her own enjoyment.
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• Re: Clear coat staying sticky?

Never knew padauk was oily. That explains the problem I'm having.
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• kitaye
    started a topic Clear coat staying sticky?

Clear coat staying sticky?

I recently replaced the handles of two knives. One was with rosewood and tagua nut, the other with Padauk. I covered both with tung oil and let them sit for two weeks. Then I decided to use a light clear coat over them both.

The rosewood handle worked just fine and looks pretty good....
    See more | Go to post

• kitaye
    replied to Power Tools In Your Shop
    Re: Power Tools In Your Shop

I use my bandsaw all the time for cutting blanks. I use my drill press for making nice round holes. I use my dremel for making smaller holes and slots. That is pretty much my power tool list.
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• kitaye
    replied to What is basswood
    Re: What is basswood

It is the softest of the hardwoods and grows throughout much of Northern USA and Canada. The wood is very pale and readily accepts paint and stain. It is easier to carve than most hardwoods and takes most detail very well.

That being said, I think most...
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• Re: base overpowering piece

The ray is the right size but is to close to the base. If you could add a riser and bring the ray up a few inches and possibly at an angle to the base it would stand out much better.
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• kitaye
    replied to Teaching a Class
    Re: Teaching a Class

Spoons are a good idea too, and something I am familiar with. I didn't even think of something that easy because it takes longer than an hour to complete. Maybe I can have some simple spoon blanks cut out and any that don't get used I'll use myself.
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

Working...
X