Keywords
Members
Tags
  •  

• Helen
    replied to Will Hayden Website
    Re: Will Hayden Website

Dear fellow carvers,
    Will Hayden passed away Sep.20, 2012. There was a memorial held Sep. 24, 2012. He will be sorely missed, a wonderful friend and teacher.
    Helen Foster
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• Helen
    replied to Question for Frank Foust
    Re: Question for Frank Foust

Hi,
    I love the article about the Comfort Birds. I wanted to contact Frank but my computer won't let me get into [email protected]. Is there another email address? Is this one correct?
    Thank you,
    Helen
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• Helen
    started a topic red-crowned crane & painting question

red-crowned crane & painting question

Does anyone know where I can get a pattern to carve a red-crowned crane?
    They're not exactly the same as a sandhill crane, I really need a pattern. Stiller doesn't seem to have one.
    Also, regarding Lora Irish's article, "adding subtle color" shouldn't some sealer be added to the...
    See more | Go to post

• Helen
    started a topic What issue is it?

What issue is it?

The new front page of the magazine shows what issue it is, the website doesn't, and doesn't totally cover what's in it.
    Helen
    See more | Go to post

• Helen
    started a topic red-crowned crane

red-crowned crane

Hello,
    I've been asked to carve a Japanese red-crowned crane, I'm sure it will be miniaturized, but they have very long necks and legs. what do you suggest to reinforce the long thin neck? I'm thinking of putting the bird on a dowell instead of legs.
    Thank you,
    Helen
    See more | Go to post

• Re: safe-end diamond cylinder

Thank you, Donna. I think I was sent the wrong bit. Will ask for another 'cause several folks have told me the end should be smooth and shiny.
    Thanks again
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• safe-end diamond cylinder

I just bought a diamond safe-end cylinder bit and I was under the impression the tip or top was smooth and shiny....the bit arrived with some grit on the tip. Is this usual for a safe-end?
    thanks,
    Helen
    See more | Go to post

• Helen
    replied to "goldie"
    Re: "goldie"

Hi Claude,
    Thanks so much for the info. Actually, my instructor's burr or bit is the size of a ruby flame and cost about $20.00 plus. I think they were quite expensive and I don't know if they make them anymore.
    Thank you very much for your search....
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• Helen
    started a topic "goldie"

"goldie"

My instructor has some titanium nitride covered diamond flame bits or burrs, 3/32 shank. I haven't been able to find them anywhere. They're covered with a goldish cover, I guess that's why he calls them goldies. I've found cutters but not diamonds.
    thank you,
    Helen
    See more | Go to post

• Helen
    started a topic power carving burrs

power carving burrs

Has anyone heard of or do you have a "goldie" burr. I think they were made by Dedeco and were burrs plated with carbide nitrate. I'm looking for a diamond goldie cutter.
    I tried one that belonged to a friend and the cut was so smooth, almost buttery on bass wood.
    Thanks,
    See more | Go to post

• Helen
    started a topic oil painting toned down

oil painting toned down

I'm painting a bird in oils. Oils are pretty glossy. Someone recommended Grumbacher Medium 1. Has anyone used this for a matte finish? How much or how does one use this medium?
    See more | Go to post

• welding or brazing

Is there an inexpensive set of some sort to solder little brass rods together to make branches and leaves for a habitat. Big torches and all that gas looks more for a pro than an amateur....which I am.
    Thanks
    See more | Go to post

• Helen
    replied to sealing before burning
    Re: sealing before burning

Thanks everybody,
    I think I won't seal before burning. I knew there were different sealers and I never said that Curt said to do it, he recommended not to. Anyhow, thanks to all of you, I appreciate it.
    Helen
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• Helen
    replied to sealing before burning
    Re: sealing before burning

Wow,
    Looks like I kicked over a hornets nest..Curt told me NOT to burn over his product. But...I read where this carver did use a modified amount of lacquer before woodburning and I wondered why. I have since emailed the writer of this article and if he...
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

Working...
X